Definition question (basic)

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: Eigenvector" is a more general term that can apply to any vector space. "In summary, the terms "eigenfunction" and eigenstate" are often used interchangeably in quantum mechanics, although "eigenstate" emphasizes the physical significance while "eigenfunction" emphasizes the mathematical aspect. Both terms refer to eigenvectors of a system."
quasar_4
So, I'm pretty sure this is trivial, but I just want to be sure:

My QM book frequently uses both the terms "eigenfunction" and "eigenstate". While they could connote slightly different physical references, they ARE both just eigenvectors, right?

I'm mostly a mathematician by training and am more familiar simply with "eigenvector". It's been bothering me that the two are the same mathematically, but I can't tell in which context they are using each name (they seem to be interchanged quite a bit, one problem refers to eigenstates, the next to eigenfunctions, but they're all just eigenvectors!).

Thanks.

quasar

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, these terms are pretty much used interchangably. To the extent that there is any distinction at all, "eigenstate" emphasizes that the object is the "quantum state" of the system, and so has physical significance; "eigenvector" emphasizes math over physics. And "eigenfunction" is used for the subclass of problems where the operator is a differential operator on functions on R^d (or something like that, I'm really bad at math terminology).

quasar_4 said:
My QM book frequently uses both the terms "eigenfunction" and eigenstate". While they could connote slightly different physical references, they ARE both just eigenvectors, right?
Both are eigenvectors. In my experience the term "eigenfunction" is usually reserved for the configuration space representation of an eigenstate.

1. What is a definition question?

A definition question is a type of question that asks for the meaning or explanation of a particular term or concept. It is used to clarify and understand a specific idea or topic.

2. How do you formulate a definition question?

To formulate a definition question, you need to start with the question word "what" or "define." Then, insert the term or concept you want to define. For example, "What is the definition of photosynthesis?" or "Define biodiversity."

3. What are the different types of definition questions?

There are two main types of definition questions: descriptive and operational. Descriptive definition questions ask for the meaning of a term or concept, while operational definition questions ask for the process or steps involved in a particular action or concept.

4. How can definition questions be useful in scientific research?

Definition questions are useful in scientific research as they help clarify and define key terms and concepts. This ensures that everyone is on the same page and using the same understanding of a term, which can prevent misunderstandings and errors in data analysis and communication.

5. Can definition questions be answered with a simple one-word answer?

It depends on the complexity of the term or concept being defined. Some definition questions may have simple one-word answers, while others may require more detailed explanations. It is important for the answer to be accurate and clear, regardless of the length.