1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition2 of derivative

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1
    "Definition2 of derivative...

We have the defintion (taking the limit) for hte derivative:

[tex] \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/tex] for an Euclidean Space...

But what keeps us from defining another metric (on an Euclidean or other abstract space) so the derivative takes de form:

[tex] \frac{(df(x),f(a))}{d(x,a} [/tex] so "d" is a distance in the form that you can define "infinitesimal2 elements on an space and that for x=a ,d=0

Then the "abstract" definition of integral is:

[tex] \sum_{i} f(X_i ) d(X_{i+1},X_{i}) [/tex]

of course in the limit that the distance [tex] || X_{i+1}-X_í}||\rightarrow 0 [/tex] and ¿what happens if we had an "Infinite" dimensional space...so

- it is "numerable" (ie: R^{n})
    - it's not "numerable" (function space)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you ever proofread your posts? :grumpy:

I don't see any technical problem with defining

[tex]
    f'(a) := \lim_{d(x, a) \rightarrow 0} \frac{d(f(x), f(a))}{d(x, a)}
    [/tex]

on an arbitrary metric space... but it won't really behave algebraically like a derivative. I don't know if it will exist very often for something that doesn't look like a linear space. It also doesn't agree with the ordinary derivative on Euclidean space: by your definition, the derivative of -x is 1. (and not -1) (because, for the real numbers, d(x, y) = |x - y|)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  4. Sep 11, 2006 #3
    But the metric space has to be smooth right?

5. Sep 11, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The definition makes literal sense for any metric space. (Though I suspect such limits might not exist very often)

I'm not sure what a "smooth metric space" is -- if you've heard that, then that's probably a good criterion that ensures lots of these "derivatives" will exist.

6. Sep 11, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is (or is not) a "smooth" metric space?

A standard definition, given in most "Calculus III" courses, for the derivative is

A function, f:X-> Y, where X and Y are metric spaces, is said to be "differentiable at a" if and only if there exist a linear function, L:X->Y, and a function [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that
    [tex]f(x)= f(a)+ L(x-a)+ \epsilon(x-a)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\epsilon(x-a)||x-a||= 0[/tex]

What more do you want?

7. Sep 11, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrm. I had assumed that he wanted to talk about derivatives for something that isn't a linear space, but now that I read again, that wasn't a good assumption!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?