Minuend Definition: How Did They Choose the Example Values?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary: Hey, dexter, how did you change your signature? I thought altering your signature destroys it.Hey, dexter, how did you change your signature? I thought altering your signature destroys it.Altering your avatar if you have one from before the last upgrade removes it. I think the signature is manual?Hey, dexter, how did you change your signature? I thought altering your signature destroys it.In summary, the dictionary definition of a minuend includes the equation 50-34=16. This equation was chosen as an example because it is both a square and a fourth power and it is also an equality. Other equations could not do as well as this one because they do not have these properties.
bomba923
The dictionary definition of minuend,
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=minuend

includes the equation [tex] 50 - 34 = 16 [/tex]

:bugeye: How do they decide which equation to put in there? I mean, the values of 50 and 34, did someone just randomly think of two numbers ?
Did they use a statistical process, (for example, looking at the list of random numbers) to determine which values to place in as an example?

For something as important as a formal dictionary definition, how do they choose which values to use as an example? I mean, numerous English dictionaries display this EXACT equation! How, for something as significant and encompassing as a formal definition, did they come up with these values? A guy's random guess, an intensive statistical process, or...etc...
How did they decide on exactly these values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that 16 is both a square and a fourth power, whereas 50 is EXACTLY one half of an extremely important square number!
But 34 is nothing of the kind!
Hence, vast philosophical panoramas open up by this exact equation, which no other equation could do equally well.
Thus, the definition of the minuend might be expected to lodge itself deeper in the subconscious of the reader.

'numerous' is such a vague term. Do you mean many dictionaries use this example or do you mean that two is a great number? (personally, I think 42 is a great number). Or were you just confused by the latin translation of minuend, "numerus minuendus" (number to be diminished)?

Admittedly, I only did a quick sample of about 25 on-line dictionaries, but only 4 had examples at all and only two used the example you noted.

I felt the "Math is Spoken Here" dictionary picked a particularly creative example: (4x - 3) - (-2x +1) = 6x - 4.

Dang, not only can you find a "Math is Spoken Here" dictionary, but you can also find a http://members.aol.com/dcurry4000/math.htm webpage (but isn't that recon's avatar?).

Edit: My fingers were inserting random 'e's - must be a subconscious fascination.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
... you can also find a http://members.aol.com/dcurry4000/math.htm webpage (but isn't that recon's avatar?).
Heh! Cute web page! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
And one more thing

[tex] 50-16=34 [/tex] is not an equation.It's an equality.It's not an identity,since it's valid only in the base 10...

Daniel.

Hey, dexter, how did you change your signature? I thought altering your signature destroys it.

BicycleTree said:
Hey, dexter, how did you change your signature? I thought altering your signature destroys it.
Altering your avatar if you have one from before the last upgrade removes it. I think the signature is manual?

BicycleTree said:

Hehe,i wouldn't call that altering,but improving.Seneca quoted in original sounds a zillion times better than Heisenberg translated... :approve:

Yes,manually... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What is the definition of "minuend"?

The minuend is the number from which another number, called the subtrahend, is subtracted to find the difference.

2. How do scientists choose the values used as examples for minuends?

Scientists typically choose example values for minuends based on the specific concept or problem they are exploring. They may use values that are easy to work with or that demonstrate a particular pattern or relationship.

3. Why is it important to have example values when teaching about minuends?

Example values help to illustrate the concept of minuends and give students a better understanding of how it works in real-world situations. They also provide a starting point for students to practice and apply their knowledge.

4. Can minuends be negative numbers?

Yes, minuends can be negative numbers. When subtracting a negative number, the two negatives cancel out and become a positive result.

5. How does understanding minuends relate to other mathematical concepts?

Understanding minuends is essential in building a strong foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts such as algebra and calculus. It also helps students develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.