1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definitions of Polygons

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm working through the following book: Principles of Mathematics, by Allendoerfer & Oakley.

Since I haven't taken a proof-based course yet, and won't be able to until spring 2012 :grumpy:, I want to make sure that I'm not forming habits that will hurt me when I do. There are some answers that aren't provided in the back of the book, so I want to check them with you all.

On Page 5, Problem 2:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that polygon, side of a polygon, angle, length of side, equal, and parallel, have been previously defined. Then define:

a) Parallelogram.
    b) Rhombus.
    c) Pentagon.
    d) Regular Pentagon.
    e) Trapezoid.
    f) Hexagon.

2. Relevant equations

I believe the exercise wants to ensure that I'm using the "if and only if" bi-conditional logical connective correctly. My understanding is that the "if" includes all of the cases that follow the next clause, and "only if" excludes all others. So, I need to make sure that my definitions do not include other polygons.

3. The attempt at a solution

Parallelogram: A four-sided polygon is a parallelogram if and only if it has two sets of parallel sides.

Rhombus: A four-sided polygon is a rhombus if and only if its sides are equal and has two pairs of congruent angles.

Pentagon: A polygon is a pentagon if and only if it has 5 sides.

Regular Pentagon: A polygon is a regular pentagon if and only if it has 5 equal sides.

Trapezoid: A four-sided polygon is a Trapezoid if and only if it has two parallel sides and two pairs of congruent angles.

Hexagon: A polygon is a hexagon if and only if it has 6 sides.

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I have avoided simply looking up the definitions on the internet so that I'm given the chance to reason my way to an answer, if possible.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Dembadon! :smile:

Just a few comments on your statements (mostly nitpicking, but that is what math is about :wink:).

In a rhombus the sides are not equal (that would be pretty weird!), but the lengths of the sides are equal.

The two pairs of congruent angles are redundant in a rhombus (but not wrong).

A pentagon with 5 sides of equal length does not have to be regular.
    Perhaps you could try to find an example?

A trapezoid does not have to have two pairs of congruent angles.
    Perhaps you could look up the definition of a trapezoid?

The rest looks good! :smile:

4. Aug 13, 2011 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

Hello!

Thank you, ILS. Nitpicking is exactly what I was hoping for! I need, and want, to learn to be as precise as possible.

5. Aug 13, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Good!
    I've been tuning my nitpicking back in real life, since it usually mostly irritates people, but I believe it is invaluable in math and programming. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook