1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defintion of Curvature

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    Hi.

I am reading "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, for a summer project. In section 27.3 (Relativistic Cosmology) the curvature of a sphere is given by

[tex]6\pi \frac{C_{exp}-C_{meas}}{C_{exp}A_{exp}}[/tex]

The situation is as follows:

Consider a sphere of radius R. An ant is moving on the sphere at a fixed polar angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. The ant measures the circumference [itex]C_{meas} = 2\pi R\sin\theta[/itex] whereas the expected value of circumference is [itex]C_{exp} = 2\pi D[/itex] where [itex]D = R\theta[/itex]. The expected area of the circle is [itex]A_{exp} = \pi D^2[/itex].

I am not sure how the above expression leads to the curvature of the sphere...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Cheers
    Vivek.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

My understanding of this is that the ant walks in a circle, not a great circle. In this case the expression you quote gives the curvature of the sphere. Imagine the ant walking is a circle on a flat surface, then let the flat surface curve. The ratio of the diameter to the radius changes.

4. May 15, 2008 #3
    Mentz114, thanks for your reply. I'm not clear about the way the curvature has been written in terms of the two circumferences and the area, and also the [itex]6\pi[/itex] factor. How does all that come in?

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    That relation is teh Gaussian Curvature for a two dimensional surface. Gaussian curvature is not defined for spaces higher than two.

Pete

6. May 15, 2008 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

maverick280857 , if you want a derivation, check out Wiki on 'Gaussian curvature'. There's even an expression in terms of Christoffel symbols.

7. May 16, 2008 #6
    Thanks, I'm still learning these things and I don't know much about them. The page you have referred to does not explain the origin of the particular definition of curvature used here. But I will keep looking.

8. May 16, 2008 #7
    Ok, so I guess its a special case of the expression given there, for 2 dimensions.

9. May 16, 2008 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?