Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defintion of Curvature

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    Hi.

I am reading "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, for a summer project. In section 27.3 (Relativistic Cosmology) the curvature of a sphere is given by

[tex]6\pi \frac{C_{exp}-C_{meas}}{C_{exp}A_{exp}}[/tex]

The situation is as follows:

Consider a sphere of radius R. An ant is moving on the sphere at a fixed polar angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. The ant measures the circumference [itex]C_{meas} = 2\pi R\sin\theta[/itex] whereas the expected value of circumference is [itex]C_{exp} = 2\pi D[/itex] where [itex]D = R\theta[/itex]. The expected area of the circle is [itex]A_{exp} = \pi D^2[/itex].

I am not sure how the above expression leads to the curvature of the sphere...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Cheers
    Vivek.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

My understanding of this is that the ant walks in a circle, not a great circle. In this case the expression you quote gives the curvature of the sphere. Imagine the ant walking is a circle on a flat surface, then let the flat surface curve. The ratio of the diameter to the radius changes.

4. May 15, 2008 #3
    Mentz114, thanks for your reply. I'm not clear about the way the curvature has been written in terms of the two circumferences and the area, and also the [itex]6\pi[/itex] factor. How does all that come in?

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    That relation is teh Gaussian Curvature for a two dimensional surface. Gaussian curvature is not defined for spaces higher than two.

Pete

6. May 15, 2008 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

maverick280857 , if you want a derivation, check out Wiki on 'Gaussian curvature'. There's even an expression in terms of Christoffel symbols.

7. May 16, 2008 #6
    Thanks, I'm still learning these things and I don't know much about them. The page you have referred to does not explain the origin of the particular definition of curvature used here. But I will keep looking.

8. May 16, 2008 #7
    Ok, so I guess its a special case of the expression given there, for 2 dimensions.

9. May 16, 2008 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?