What is the most intuitive way to define an ordered pair?

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
In summary, there are several different ways to define an ordered pair, including using axiomatic set theory, defining it as a mapping from natural numbers, and defining it based on its properties. However, the most commonly accepted and intuitive definition is <a,b> = {{a},{a,b}}. This definition does not rely on the existence of specific numbers and can be extended to define n-tuples as well.
Swapnil
Hi yall, I was just reading a book on set theory and I came across this definition of an ordered pair:
[tex]\langle a,b\rangle \equiv \lbrace \lbrace a,1 \rbrace, \lbrace b,2 \rbrace \rbrace [/tex]

I think this is a really ingenious way to define an ordered pair but I was wondering are there any other, more intuitive, ways to define an ordered pair?

edit: fixed the pointy brackets thanks to Hurkyl

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could just define an ordered pair axiomatically.

Basically, the point of axiomatic set theory is to work with a very minimalist foundation -- so rather than start by assuming the existence of your basic tools (like ordered pairs), it has to actually construct them, and this requires using clever tricks (precisely because you aren't able to use your basic tools).

Incidentally, for your LaTeX, I think you're looking for:

\langle
\rangle

and

\{
\}

(oh, nm, I see you got it)

that definition fails for the rodered pair <2,1>.

i think the usual definition is <a,b> = {{a}, {a,b}}. as in Kelley's modern algebra, for his continental classroom course on tv, circa 1960.

HallsofIvy said:
When talking about "ordered triples", we can think of as the "ordered pair" ((a,b),c) where the first member is the ordered pair (a,b). That is the same as the set {{(a,b)}, {(a,b),c}}. But (a,b) is {{a},{a,b}} so {{(a,b)},{(a,b),c}}= {{{{a},{a,b}}},{{{a},{a,b}},c}}. Or we could write it as (a, (b,c))= {{a},{a,(b,c)}=

(That reminds me of the computer language "LISP"- "Lots of Insane, Silly Parentheses"!
So I guess you can define (a,b) the following way: (a,b) := {{a},{a,b}}. Using this definition, the ordered 3-tuple becomes (a,b,c) =
{{a},{a,{b,{b,c}}}. Isn't this way of defining a lot more difficult than the one I mentioned. I mean, the ordered triple would be (a,b,c) = {{a,1},{b,2},{c,3}} using the method I mentioned, right?

mathwonk said:

Why does it actually fail for (2, 1) ?

mathwonk said:

Originally I agreed with you, but thinking about it I'm not sure it's a problem, as long as you know the arity beforehand. <2, 1> would be {{1, 2}}, but doesn't that uniquely decompose to <2, 1> as an ordered pair?

It seems to work:

Case 1: Neither element is 1 or 2: {{a, 1}, {b, 2}} has 2 elements with 2 elements each.
Case 2: Both elements are 1 or 2: {{1}, {2}}, {{1, 2}}, {{1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2}}
Case 3: Exactly one element is 1 or 2: {{1}, {b, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {b, 2}}, {{b, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{b, 1}, {2}}.

Case 1 doesn't conflect with case 2 because all elements in case 1 have a number not equal to 1 or 2.
Case 1 doesn't conflect with case 3 because all sets in case 3 that have both elements of cardinality 2 contain {1, 2} which is not in any set in case 1.
Case 2 doesn't conflict with case 3 by checking each case.

the definition by [tex]\langle a,b \rangle = \{\{a,1\},\{b,2\}\}[/tex] is undesirable mainly due to it's reliance on the existence of 1 and 2. the (arguably) best definition is [tex]\langle a,b \rangle = \{\{a\},\{a,b\}\}[/tex]

An n-tuple can then be defined as an ordered pair of an element and an (n-1)-tuple. Note that the n-tuple definition doesn't actually rely on the existence of natural numbers, but rather uses natural numbers simply as a naming convention.

I should note that another definition for an n-tuple is in fact a mapping from [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] to some set, which gives it the structure [tex]\{\langle 1,a_1 \rangle, \langle 2,a_2 \rangle, \ldots , \langle n,a_n \rangle\}[/tex]

Last edited:
tehminkeh said:
the definition by [tex]\langle a,b \rangle = \{\{a,1\},\{b,2\}\}[/tex] is undesirable mainly due to it's reliance on the existence of 1 and 2. the (arguably) best definition is [tex]\langle a,b \rangle = \{\{a\},\{a,b\}\}[/tex]

I'd argue that the best way to define <a,b> is by its properties. That is <a,b> exists for all a,b and <a,b>=<c,d> iff a=c and b=d.

Then the fact that <a,b>=={{a},{a,b}} or <a,b>=={{a,1},{b,2}} satisfies the required properties is a proof that sets exist => ordered pairs exist.

Last edited:

1. What is an ordered pair?

An ordered pair is a set of two numbers or values written in a specific order, typically separated by a comma. The order of the numbers in the pair is important as it represents the location or position of the values on a graph or coordinate plane.

2. How do you read an ordered pair?

An ordered pair is usually read by stating the first value or number and then the second value or number. For example, (3, 5) would be read as "three, five". This helps to identify the location of the pair on a graph or coordinate plane.

3. What is the difference between an ordered pair and a set?

An ordered pair is a specific type of set that contains exactly two elements, while a set can contain any number of elements. Additionally, the order of elements in a set does not matter, whereas the order of elements in an ordered pair does matter.

4. How are ordered pairs used in mathematics?

Ordered pairs are commonly used in mathematics to represent coordinates or locations on a graph or coordinate plane. They can also be used to represent solutions to equations and ordered pairs can be combined with other pairs to create a function.

5. Can an ordered pair have the same number for both values?

Yes, an ordered pair can have the same number for both values. This is known as a diagonal ordered pair and represents a point on the diagonal line of a graph or coordinate plane.