1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Deflection angle question

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    When asked to find the deflection angle for an electron passing through a parallel plate capacitor, for some reason my initial approach was to find the horizontal distance travelled and the vertical distance and then find the angle created by them. I got the wrong answer doing this and looked at the solution which explained that you have to use the final vertical/horizontal velocities and the angle created by them. This makes sense to me, but I still don't understand why my method wouldn't work? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi maccha! :smile:

It's because you're finding the slope of the chord from entry to exit (which will be roughly parallel to the tangent at half-way), but the question asks for the slope of the tangent on exit, which is about twice as much. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook