1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection Angle

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Deflection Angle

Hey guys, back again lol, got a really quick question:

In order to convert a tough split in bowling it is necessary to strike the pin a glancing blow as shown. Assume that the bowling ball, initially travelling at 12.0 [m/s], has five times the mass of the pin and that the pin goes off at 80[degrees] from the original direction of the ball. Calculate the speed A) of the pin and B) of the ball just after collision and C) calculate the angle through which the ball as deflected. Assume the collision is elastic and ignore any spin of the ball.

So far I've done part A and part B, but I'm ashamed to say I'm having trouble calculating the angle. Do I make a resultant triangle? A point in the right direction would be great

^ ^ thank you!

Return

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Return! :smile:

You know all three speeds, and one angle, whic is more than enough information … you can use conservation of momentum in the original direction of the ball, or perpendicular to it, or you can draw a resultant triangle. :smile:

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    So if I want to use the velocities, I use the law of cosines right?

5. Apr 30, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

law of cosines?

if you mean that the component of a vector (like a velocity or a force) in a particular direction is the value of the vector times the cosine …
    … then yes! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?