1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection Help!

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Dear friendes, I have just measured the strain of a composite plate at it's surface. It was an impact test. I have only epslon x. How can I find the plate defection? Plate size is equal to 10*10*0.2 cm.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One needs to supply more information. For example, what is the orientation of the plate, and what is the coordinate system?

I would expect one is measuring a permanent deformation based on an impact test?

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    Dear Friend, thank you for you reply. The plate is composite material [0 90 0 90 0]s from glass-epoxy. The plate weight is 24 gr (10*10*0.2 cm) and the impactor weight is 24 and 57 gr (large mass impact) with impact velocities: 0.6 and 1.2 m/s (low velocity impact). There is no damage. We are in Elastic region. I can find the strain in y direction too (I have the strain in x direction now). I have attached the strain gauge at the botoom of the plate, below the place that I impacted the plate from top wih a small ball.

Anything else?

Please tell your answrs with naming of the references.

With respect

Faramarz A. Gh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?