Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Deflection Help!

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Dear friendes, I have just measured the strain of a composite plate at it's surface. It was an impact test. I have only epslon x. How can I find the plate defection? Plate size is equal to 10*10*0.2 cm.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One needs to supply more information. For example, what is the orientation of the plate, and what is the coordinate system?

I would expect one is measuring a permanent deformation based on an impact test?

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    Dear Friend, thank you for you reply. The plate is composite material [0 90 0 90 0]s from glass-epoxy. The plate weight is 24 gr (10*10*0.2 cm) and the impactor weight is 24 and 57 gr (large mass impact) with impact velocities: 0.6 and 1.2 m/s (low velocity impact). There is no damage. We are in Elastic region. I can find the strain in y direction too (I have the strain in x direction now). I have attached the strain gauge at the botoom of the plate, below the place that I impacted the plate from top wih a small ball.

Anything else?

Please tell your answrs with naming of the references.

With respect

Faramarz A. Gh.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook