1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of a beam

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the given beam (link), calculate the tip deflection for the given loadings. In addition to the applied load, the beam wt 2000 lbs/ ft.
    E = 30 * 10^6 psi
    I = 60 * 10^3 in^4

http://i52.tinypic.com/990xef.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    deflection for the uniform load is: w= -p/ (24*E*I)* [(x^4) - (4*L*x^3) + (6*L^2*x^2)]

You use this to calculate the uniform load of 1000 lb/ft. I think you use this for the weight of the beam (2000 lb/ft) as well, but i am not too sure.
    I have solved the deflection function by hand and have checked on sites and it is the correct case for uniform load.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know we have to use superposition, we have to separate them by uniform load of
    1000 lb/ft, the 4000 lb load, 5000 lb load, and the weight of the beam itself... After I separate them, I solved for the deflection function for the uniform load of 1000 lb/ft.
    I know that I need to do this for all four loads and then add them together at the end but I dont know how to calculate the deflection for the 4000 lb load, and 5000 lb load since they are not evenly spaced.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check your deflection tables for a cantilever beam with a single load applied away from the end. You can calculate the deflection of the 4000# load by itself, and the 5000# load by itself. The total deflection at the free end is obtained by superposition.

4. Jul 9, 2011 #3
    there are two equations for one load for 4000 and two equations for 5000, Do use all 4 of them.. The two equations have a limit, the first equation is from the left end to the Force/load and second is from the Force/load to the right end. Here is the link: Look at case 2:
    http://www.advancepipeliner.com/Resources/Others/Beams/Beam_Deflection_Formulae.pdf

So i will have to use all 4 equations, 2 of each force, and add them?

5. Jul 9, 2011 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you look at Beam Type 2 and the equations for deflection y, note that each equation is applicable for a certain portion of the beam:

Eq. 1 - x is between the load P and the fixed end of the beam 0 < x < a
    Eq. 2 - x is between the load P and the free end of the beam a < x < L

However, your problem asks you to calculate the tip deflection, so use the eq. in the right hand column (Max. deflection) of the table for dmax.

6. Jul 9, 2011 #5
    Thanks bro :)
    Wasted about 4 hours trying to calculate the two load, lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook