1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of an Elastic Beam

1. Feb 21, 2004 #1
    When an elastic beam AB supports a block of weight W at a given point B, the deflection [tex]y_s[/tex] (static deflection) is proportional to W. Show that if the same block is dropped form a height h onto the end B of a cantilever beam, the maximum deflection [tex]y_m = y_s(1 + (1+\frac{2h}{y})^\frac{1}{2}).[/tex] Neglect the weight of the beam and any energy dissipated in the impact.

I have:

[tex]y_s = kW[/tex]

T1 = 0
    V1 = mgh
    T2 = 0 when deflection is at a max
    [tex]V2 = -mgy_m[/tex]

I'm pretty sure that V2 should also include the potential energy stored in the beam, but I don't know how to express that. Would it be similar to a spring? V(beam) = 1/2ky^2 ? That's my guess, but there must be a logical way of proving it.

I think I can do the rest once I find the expression for the potential energy inside the elastic beam.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 26, 2004 #3

turin

Homework Helper

Yes, there is. You have identified a force law that should look familiar (if you put the k on the other side). How do you derive the potential energy from that force law (think about F dot dx).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?