Deflection of Light Around Massive Bodies

In summary, Deflection of Light Around Massive Bodies is the phenomenon where light is bent as it passes near massive objects such as stars or galaxies. This is due to the curvature of spacetime caused by the object's gravitational pull. The amount of deflection depends on the mass and distance of the object, and was first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. This effect has been observed and confirmed through experiments, such as the famous 1919 solar eclipse where the position of stars near the sun appeared to shift due to the sun's mass bending the light. The deflection of light around massive bodies has important implications in our understanding of gravity and the behavior of light in the universe.
DiracPool
I thought this would be an easy lookup. However, after farming several sources, I couldn't find a discussion on it..

Anyway, my question is is this, does a shorter wavelength/higher energy photon bend more around a massive body than a lower energy photon? For instance, if we had two photons, one high energy and one low energy, from a distant source moving around the sun at the exact same distance from it's center and we were measuring their deflection during an eclipse, would there be a difference in the amount of deflection between the two (that is, if the difference were measurable)?

My guess would be that the higher energy photon would be deflected more but I haven't been able to find a reference to it.

Also, a related question would be the "gravitational redshift" of said photons in the example above. That is, would each of these photons experience such a blueshift (in this example) as they were being deflected around the sun, and would the amount of that blueshift be similarly affected by their energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the deflection angle, and also at its derivation, I don't see where the momentum/energy of the photon goes into the game. It exists but it's replaced [with the angular momentum] by the impact parameter, that has a different physical meaning. So I guess no light will be deflected more or less, they will accept the same deflection if they are coming near the massive lens with the same parameters.

For your related question, check here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gravitational-lensing-and-red-shift.382537/

Photons follow null geodesics. Once you've specified the starting event and the starting direction in 4D spacetime, you have uniquely specified the geodesic. The starting direction in 4D spacetime is uniquely determined by the starting direction in 3D space, because the time component then depends only on the speed, which is the same for all photons.

So all photons passing through the same event with the same spatial direction follow the same path regardless of frequency.

Likes bcrowell
Ok, got it. Thanks for the clear responses.

I seem to remember reading that the (lack of) dispersion of electromagnetic radiation with different frequencies has been tested by studying the deflection of radio signals from distant sources in the Sun's gravitational field.

1. What is the deflection of light around massive bodies?

The deflection of light around massive bodies, also known as gravitational lensing, is the phenomenon in which light rays are bent as they pass near a massive object, such as a star or a galaxy. This bending of light is caused by the gravitational pull of the massive object, causing the light to follow a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How does the deflection of light around massive bodies provide evidence for the theory of general relativity?

The deflection of light around massive bodies was one of the key observations that provided evidence for Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, mass can cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, which in turn affects the path of light. The amount of deflection observed in gravitational lensing aligns with the predictions of general relativity, further supporting its validity.

3. Is the deflection of light around massive bodies only caused by visible matter?

No, the deflection of light around massive bodies can also be caused by invisible or dark matter. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light, but its gravitational effects can be observed through its influence on the paths of light.

4. Can the deflection of light around massive bodies be used to study the properties of the massive object?

Yes, the amount of deflection in gravitational lensing can be used to estimate the mass and distribution of the massive object causing the bending of light. This information can be useful in studying the properties of the object, such as its size, shape, and composition.

5. Are there different types of gravitational lensing?

Yes, there are two main types of gravitational lensing - strong lensing and weak lensing. Strong lensing occurs when the light from a distant object is significantly distorted and forms multiple images due to the strong gravitational pull of a massive object in the foreground. Weak lensing, on the other hand, causes a subtle distortion in the shape of background objects due to the gravitational pull of a large-scale structure, such as a cluster of galaxies.