Deflection of Mass Homework Solution

In summary: You need to rethink your approach and assumptions.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a particle being launched along the z-axis of a fixed x-y-z frame that is rotating with the Earth. The goal is to determine the deflection of the particle as it falls towards a point A, with the arc length between P and A being the required deflection. However, the proposed approach is found to be incorrect and the assumptions made about the inertial frame and the direction of deflection are challenged. The conversation ends with the suggestion to rethink the approach and assumptions.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-9_14-36-6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-12-9_15-58-25.png

I assume that the particle is launched along the z- axis of the x-y-z frame which is fixed with the Earth and the Earth is rotating about the x – axis.

Wrt an inertial frame, the particle will fall on A.

The arc length between P and A is the required deflection.

Now, since the Earth is rotating with constant angular velocity, PA = ## \omega R T##, where T is the time of the fall.

Wrt an inertial frame, its acceleration is g ( let's take it constant).

Then, using ## s= \frac {at^2 } { 2} ## taking the initial speed to be 0.

We have, ## T = \sqrt{\frac {2h } { g } }##.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-9_14-36-6.png
    upload_2017-12-9_14-36-6.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 630
  • upload_2017-12-9_14-44-22.png
    upload_2017-12-9_14-44-22.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 398
  • upload_2017-12-9_15-58-25.png
    upload_2017-12-9_15-58-25.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no A in your figures ...

Do you get a reasonable result if you insert reasonable values for your parameters?

I can take h such that T = 1s.
Then the deflection is about 467 m.
As ##\omega = 7.3 * 10^{-5} rad/s ~ and ~ R = 6400 km##

Why should it not be reasonable?

That is a fall of ca 5 m. Do you find it reasonable that a fall of 5 m is deflected by almost 500 m? Do you not think people living at the equator would have serious problems with this?

Edit: On top of that, your deflection is in the wrong direction.

Orodruin said:
That is a fall of ca 5 m. Do you find it reasonable that a fall of 5 m is deflected by almost 500 m? Do you not think people living at the equator would have serious problems with this?
Then if I drop a ball from the 2nd floor of a building ( which is more than 5m above the ground) on the equator, it will deflect by about 500m.
Yes, this will be difficult. I realized it. Thank you for it.
Orodruin said:
your deflection is in the wrong direction.
The deflection is PA, in the anti - clockwise direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the earth. Isn't this correct?
I have taken the clock - wise direction of the rotation to be in the +ve x- direction.
Sorry, I didn't take these direction things sincerely at start.

So, the above approach is wrong as it doesn't get veriffied by the experiment.
But, I don't know where is the mistake?

Pushoam said:
The deflection is PA, in the anti - clockwise direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the earth. Isn't this correct?
No, it is not correct. It is even stated in the problem that the deflection is to the east, ie, in the same direction as the rotation. (Last time I checked, the Sun rises in the east.)

I suggest that you examine your assumptions. In particular your assumption that the object falls straight down in an inertial frame.

And you still have not defined A in this thread.

Orodruin said:
And you still have not defined A in this thread.
I have defined A in the picture.

Orodruin said:
In particular your assumption that the object falls straight down in an inertial frame.
The force acting on the object in the inertial frame is gravitational force (which is radial, in this case towards negative z- axis).

The Earth is rotating, but this doesn't affect the mass distribution.
I have assumed that the Earth is not orbiting. Is it this which is wrong?
Orodruin said:
No, it is not correct. It is even stated in the problem that the deflection is to the east, ie, in the same direction as the rotation. (Last time I checked, the Sun rises in the east.)

I have to measure the deflection wrt Earth frame. A person on the Earth will want the ball to fall on P, but the ball falls on A. So, for this person, PA is the deflection.

Isn't this correct?

Pushoam said:
The force acting on the object in the inertial frame is gravitational force (which is radial, in this case towards negative z- axis).

The Earth is rotating, but this doesn't affect the mass distribution.
I have assumed that the Earth is not orbiting. Is it this which is wrong?I have to measure the deflection wrt Earth frame. A person on the Earth will want the ball to fall on P, but the ball falls on A. So, for this person, PA is the deflection.

Isn't this correct?
No. The object is dropped from rest relative to the Earth frame so your assumption that it starts from rest in the inertial frame is obviously false.

Likes Pushoam

1. What is the concept of deflection of mass?

The deflection of mass is the bending or curving of a material or object due to the application of a force. This can occur in various forms, such as the deformation of a solid material or the deviation of a particle's path in a fluid.

2. How is the deflection of mass calculated?

The deflection of mass can be calculated using various equations and principles, depending on the specific scenario. In general, it involves calculating the forces acting on the object, the properties of the object itself, and the conditions of the environment.

3. What factors affect the deflection of mass?

The deflection of mass can be affected by a number of factors, including the material properties of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the shape and size of the object, and the environment in which it is located.

4. How is the deflection of mass used in real-world applications?

The deflection of mass has various practical applications in engineering and physics. It is often used in structural analysis to determine the strength and stability of buildings and bridges. It is also important in designing and optimizing structures to withstand external forces, such as wind and earthquakes.

5. What are some common methods for mitigating the effects of deflection of mass?

There are several methods for controlling or reducing the deflection of mass in structures. These include using stronger or more rigid materials, altering the shape or design of the structure, and incorporating support systems such as beams or columns. In some cases, damping techniques can also be used to dissipate the energy from the deflection and prevent damage to the structure.