Is Deforestation a Growing Threat in South American Rainforests?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses deforestation, specifically in North America, Africa, and South American tropical rainforests. The topic of tree farms and their lack of diversity is also brought up. The conversation then shifts to the definition of a myth and the use of the term in modern language. The concept of desertification and deforestation being quantifiable is also mentioned, with links provided for further information. The conversation ends with a question about data from before 30 years ago.
Mk
I'm still looking on deforestation. In North America, it is definitely false, but what about in Africa, and in South American tropical rainforests. Anyone want to help me look?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Mk said:
I'm still looking on deforestation. In North America, it is definitely false,

A tree farm is not a forest. There is no diversity.

Mk said:
I'm still looking on deforestation. In North America, it is definitely false, but what about in Africa, and in South American tropical rainforests. Anyone want to help me look?

Care to elaborate?

I don't feel like it. Maybe tomorrow. Sorry.

I saw a tree farm one time. It was all Christmas trees. Its like a forest of Christmas. :cry: So beautiful. Actually it wasn't.

As an aside - a myth is a story that humans use explain the world to each other. At least that wass the primary meaning - now it's degenerated into a derogatory term - it means a completely false tale, in a perjorative sense.

You do realize that cultural anthropologists categorize any story that explains how we (us humans) came to be as a creation myth. That includes the story in Genesis.

-- just a pet peeve about words going down the sewer... :)

Oh - I meant to answer - desertification and deforestation are quantifiable.
That means we can get real numbers - in this case percent of land that has gone from 100% vegetative cover and remain at 10% percent over time, using infared satellite imagery taken over longer periods of time.

For example, tropical rainforest soils (lateritic soils), when they experience clearcut over very large areas actually turn into something akin to ceramic.
They become much less permeable, and plants have a tough time repopulating those areas. So they stay pretty much bare for long periods of time. If you do this to several hundred thousand acres of land every year and it does not grow back, why, then this shows up in satellite images.

Just because you don't see it personally does not mean it has no substance to it.

Thanks robphy, I "mythed" putting up some links.

Thanks for the links robphy, it looks like the Amazonian rainforest is shrinking slightly. What about data from before 30 years ago?

1. What is deforestation?

Deforestation is the process of cutting down trees in a forest for various reasons, such as agriculture, urbanization, or logging. It is a major cause of environmental degradation and contributes to climate change.

2. Why is deforestation happening in rainforests?

Deforestation in rainforests is primarily driven by human activities, such as agriculture, logging, and urbanization. The demand for land and resources has led to the clearing of large areas of rainforests, which are some of the most biodiverse and important ecosystems on the planet.

3. What are the effects of deforestation in rainforests?

Deforestation in rainforests has a significant impact on the environment and the global climate. It leads to loss of biodiversity, soil erosion, disruption of water cycles, and contributes to greenhouse gas emissions. It also has a negative impact on the livelihoods of indigenous communities and can lead to conflicts over land rights.

4. How does deforestation in rainforests affect climate change?

Rainforests play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate by absorbing large amounts of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. When forests are cut down and burned, this stored carbon is released back into the atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect and global warming.

5. What can be done to stop deforestation in rainforests?

There are several solutions to address deforestation in rainforests, including implementing sustainable land management practices, promoting reforestation and afforestation projects, and reducing the demand for products that contribute to deforestation, such as palm oil and beef. It is also important to support and empower local communities and indigenous peoples who live in and depend on these forests for their livelihoods.