1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deformation of composite bar

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the deformation of a composite bar is subjected to a centric force P.

This is a general question. The composite bar is made of 2 materials. The top and bottom layer is material 1, and the middle layer is material 2. I cant think of a better way to describe how the materials are aligned but think of an icecream sandwich where material 2 is the icecream and material 1 is the outer chocolate pieces.

Now is it safe to say that the deformation of the entire bar is going to be the same? Because both materials have different E values, but since the outer pieces are brazed to the center piece, deformation of the whole bar is 1 value correct?

That being so, how exactly would I go about finding the deformation? Would it just be the deformation of the bar that causes the least amount of deformation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, deformation of the bar will be the same across a cross section. How to go about it is what you need to figure out. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Alright thanks nvm, I got the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook