Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defrag Issue Help

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

On my home PC running XP, I have two hard drives. Nothing special, EIDE, set up as master and slave. A 12 GB and an 80 GB. Both drives work perfectly fine in normal operation. The problem I have is that I can not run defrag on the slave drive. As soon as I press the "anylize" or "Defrag" buttons, the blue screen of death pops up for a split second and the machine immediately reboots.

I have checked and double checked the drive's jumper settings and cable hook up. I have DL'd a quick monitor program to check the drive's health from Western Digital and it says everything's peachy.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any pointers (other than ditching Windows)?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Why is it so important for you to defrag this drive? Do you feel you're going to get a huge performance boost? If the drive is formatted ntfs, fragmentation isn't going to be a huge problem.

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I use it simply as a house cleaning tool every once in a while. It's no big deal really.

To be honest, right now it drives me crazy only because I know something is "wrong," not that it is causing me technical problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?