1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degausing 101?

1. May 20, 2009 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a component made of some sort of stamped steel which has a significant magnetic field (upto 2000mGa) which I need to use near a sensitive magnetic sensor. The field is high enough to saturate the sensor so I can't calibrate it out.

Does anyone have any idea about degaussing?
    I tried a tape eraser we had but it didn't do anything.
    I thought of making one, by wrapping a coil around the part - but I have no idea of what kind of field strength or frequency to use.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I guess getting the steel annealed and/or wrapping it in a mu metal is out of the question?

Zz.

4. May 20, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, unfortunately it's part of a component that we can't change.

5. May 20, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

Put it in a solenoid with AC current. Then slowly decreasing the current should decrease the magnetization.

6. May 20, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Go to an old-fashioned TV repair shop and borrow a degausser, or contact a data security business. They may have large degaussers suitable for bulk erasure of magnetic media.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook