1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degeneracy of Fermionic gas

1. Dec 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question asked me to show that the entropy of a fermionic gas is
    ##S = -k_B \Sigma_i (1-f_i)\ln(1-f_i) +f_i\ln(f_i)##

Using the Fermi-Dirac distribution so ##f_i = \frac{n_i}{g_i}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The number of microstates ##\Omega## is
    ##\Omega =## Π##\frac{g_i!}{n_i!(g_i-n_i)!}## and using ##S = k_B ln(\Omega)## I've arrived at the expression:
    ##S = -k_B \Sigma_i g_i (1-f_i)\ln(1-f_i) +f_i\ln(f_i)##
    So there's an unwanted factor of ##g_i##. I'm told it is meant to be there, and I need to explain why it can be set to 1. Something to do with i being the state index and a quantum state can't be degenerate. Could someone explain that to me? Any help is much appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2
    Hi Kara386

First observation here is that you need some big brackets in your equations - for example in your first equation, the [itex]k_B[/itex] should be multiplying everything, not just the first term.

The business with the [itex]g_i[/itex] is just bookkeeping. In their formula they're using the index [itex]i[/itex] to label different states, and in your formula you're using the index [itex]i[/itex] to label different energies. Your formula includes a [itex]g_i[/itex] factor in it to allow for the possibility that there might be lots of states with the same energy.

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks! I thought that might be it, because although originally the sum was over multiple states taken to be at the same energy, I think the introduction of the average ##f_i## allows the sum to be over individual states.

Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted