Degenerate Laurent Series

The same argument shows that\limsup_{n \rightarrow \infty} |c_n z^n| = 0 = \limsup_{n \rightarrow \infty} |c_{-n} z^{-n}|for all z satisfying r < |z| < R so that the limit holds uniformly on this annulus. For z satisfying |z| = R or |z| = r the result is not necessarily true. Consider for instance the sequence of analytic functionsf_n(z) = \sum_{k=0}^n z^kon the closed disc |z| \le 1. This sequence is uniformly bounded, but the sequence of derivativesf_n'(z) = \
Josh Swanson
Suppose we have

[tex]f(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_n z^n; \quad U(z) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n z^n; \quad L(z) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty c_{-n} z^{-n}[/tex]
where [itex]f(z)[/itex] converges* in the interior of some annulus with inner radius [itex]r[/itex] and outer radius [itex]R > r[/itex]. Further suppose [itex]U(z)[/itex] has radius of convergence [itex]R_0[/itex] and [itex]L(1/z)[/itex] has radius of convergence [itex]1/r_0[/itex], so [itex]L(z)[/itex] converges for [itex]|z| > r_0[/itex]. Must it be the case that [itex]r_0 \leq r < R \leq R_0[/itex]? Obviously the sum over all integers converges for [itex]r_0 < |z| < R_0[/itex] (if any such z exist), but for instance what happens if [itex]R_0 < r_0[/itex]? It's conceivable that the upper and lower sums both individually diverge, but that their combined sum still converges. It doesn't seem possible to me for this case to actually occur on a non-empty open set like an annulus... but I dunno.

For instance, where does
[tex]... + \frac{1}{2^3} \frac{1}{z^3} + \frac{1}{2^2} \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{z} + 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + ...[/tex]

converge?

This question came about in the context of the uniqueness of Laurent series. It seems that Laurent series are typically assumed to only be defined where their upper and lower sums converge, which sidesteps this issue. Each source I've looked at (Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis; Wikipedia; MathWorld; http://www.math.binghamton.edu/sabalka/teaching/09Spring375/Chapter8.pdf) at best includes this requirement implicitly and at worst ignores it entirely which makes me wonder if it's really necessary.

*I'm interpreting [itex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_n z^n[/itex] as [itex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{n=-N}^N c_n z^n[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Must it be the case that [itex]r_0\le r < R \le R_0[/itex]?

Yes.

You can prove it playing a bit with power series. For example, take any [itex]z_0[/itex], [itex]r<|z_0|<R[/itex]. This implies that [itex]c_n|z_0|^n \to 0[/itex] as [itex]n\to \pm\infty[/itex], so the sequence [itex]c_n|z_0|^n [/itex] is bounded.

Comparison with geometric series gives that [itex]L(z)[/itex] converges for all [itex]|z|> |z_0|[/itex]. Since [itex]U(z) =f(z) - L(z)[/itex], then [itex]U(z) [/itex] converges for all [itex]z[/itex], [itex]|z_0|< |z|<R[/itex] as difference of 2 convergence series (both f(z) and L(z) converge in this annulus).

But power series (with positive powers) converge in a disc, so U(z) converges for [itex]|z|<R [/itex]. Then [itex]L(z) =f(z) - U(z)[/itex] converges in the annulus [itex]r< |z|<R[/itex] (f(z) converges in the annulus, L(z) converges in the disc [itex]|z|<R [/itex]). Then using comparison test we can concluyde that [itex]L(z) [/itex] converges for all [itex]|z|>r [/itex].

Hawkeye18 said:
Comparison with geometric series gives that [itex]L(z)[/itex] converges for all [itex]|z|> |z_0|[/itex].

I don't see how this is true, though you made me consider the fact that the nth term goes to 0 on this annulus, which gives the result anyway.

Outside the radius of convergence of a power series, the nth terms do not go to 0 (which is how divergence is proven there), so each [itex]r < z < R[/itex] is not outside the radius of convergence of [itex]U(z)[/itex], so [itex]R_0 \ge R[/itex]. The lower bound is similar.

It occurred to me there are some details missing yet. Hawkeye's statement, essentially
[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \pm \infty} c_n z^n \rightarrow 0[/itex]
on the annulus of convergence, requires some justification. The nth term test only gives
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} c_n z^n + c_{-n} z^{-n} = 0 \mbox{ for } r < |z| < R \quad \mbox{ (*)}[/tex]
which is not a priori the same. Suppose for now that [itex]|z| = 1[/itex] satisfies the above. Putting [itex]z=1, i[/itex] into (*) and simplifying gives
[tex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{2k+1} + c_{-2k-1} = \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{2k+1} - c_{-2k-1} = 0[/tex]
so that [itex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{2k+1} = 0[/itex]. Thus [itex]\liminf_{n \rightarrow \infty} |c_n| = 0[/itex]. Suppose to the contrary [itex]\limsup_{n \rightarrow \infty} |c_n| > 0[/itex]. There is some subsequence [itex]\{|c_{n_k}|\}[/itex] where [itex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} |c_{n_k}| = a > 0[/itex]. Cutting off finitely many terms, this constrains [itex]\{c_{n_k}\}[/itex] to lie on a compact annulus not containing the origin, so the subsequence has a limit point [itex]c[/itex] in this annulus. Passing to a further subsequence, we may then take
[tex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{n_k} = c \ne 0[/tex]
Applying (*) with this subsequence and [itex]z=1[/itex] gives [itex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{n_k} + c_{-n_k} = 0 \Rightarrow \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{-n_k} = -c[/itex]. Taking [itex]z = e^{it}[/itex] in (*) gives
[tex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{n_k} e^{i n_k t} + c_{-n_k} e^{-i n_k t} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{n_k} e^{2i n_k t} + c_{-n_k} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} c_{n_k} e^{2i n_k t} = -(-c) = c[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} e^{2i n_k t} = c/c = 1[/tex]
This last line is obviously nonsense, for instance with [itex]t=\pi/2[/itex], so [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} c_n = 0 = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} c_n z^n[/itex] after all, which forces [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} c_{-n} z^{-n} = 0[/itex]. We may peel back the [itex]|z| = 1[/itex] assumption by applying the above to [itex]z / |z|[/itex].

1. What is a degenerate Laurent series?

A degenerate Laurent series is a special type of power series that includes negative powers of the variable in addition to positive powers. It is a generalization of a Laurent series, which only includes positive powers.

2. What is the difference between a degenerate Laurent series and a regular power series?

The main difference is that a degenerate Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of the variable, while a regular power series only includes positive powers. This allows for a greater range of functions to be represented by a degenerate Laurent series.

3. How is a degenerate Laurent series used in mathematics?

Degenerate Laurent series are often used in complex analysis, particularly in the study of singularities and their behavior. They can also be used to represent functions with poles or branch points.

4. Can a degenerate Laurent series converge on a circle of convergence?

No, a degenerate Laurent series cannot converge on a circle of convergence. This is because the series includes negative powers of the variable, which would cause the series to diverge when approaching the boundary of the circle.

5. How can a degenerate Laurent series be converted into a regular power series?

A degenerate Laurent series can be converted into a regular power series by using a change of variable, where the negative powers are rewritten as positive powers. This can also be done by using a partial fraction decomposition.