Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degenerate Metric at semi-regularizable Schwarzschild singularity

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I am reading this paper
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1111.4837.pdf
    and I came across under eq12 that the new metric is degenerate...
    How can someone see that from the metric's form?
    Degeneracy for a metric means that it has at least 2 same eigenvalues (but isn't that the same for the Minkowski metric since it's diagonal with 3 times -1 eigenvalues)? Or that you can define two different metric tensors [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]\bar{g}[/itex] which keep [itex]ds^{2}[/itex] invariant?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Degeneracy for a metric means that det(gab) = 0. In this case, gττgξξ - gτξ2 = 0.

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Oh well then that means that my first choice was the correct one about Eigenvalues...
    and why is the degenerate metric singular? or put in another manner, what does singular metric mean?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

For the Minkowski metric, the eigenvalues are -1, +1, +1, +1 and det(g) = -1. Det(g) is a scalar density, transforming under a coordinate transformation as Det(g') = |∂x/∂x'|2 Det(g) where |∂x/∂x'| is the Jacobian of the transformation. Consequently there exists no nonsingular transformation that can take a singular metric to Minkowski. Wherever Det(g) = 0, the spacetime is not locally Minkowskian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook