1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degenerate modes

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    Can two degenerate modes have different resonant frequencies? I am asking question in context of resonance in photonic crystal cavities.

I am reviewing a paper (I have attached it).

Figure 2 (a) and (b) of this paper show modal profile for 2x2PCRR (photonic crystal ring resonator). In this figure two degenerate modes - quadruple0 and quadruple90 exist at different resonant frequencies!!

This is possible? I thought degenerate modes have same energy and resonant frequency values.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. May 27, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I read "On the other hand, a pair of doubly degenerate modes at" to mean that each of the wavelengths exhibits a double degeneracy, and that there are a pair of wavelengths.

I agree that degeneracy refers to multiple modes with the same energy; the phrasing of the article is confusing.

5. May 27, 2014 #4
    Many thanks for taking interest in reading the paper.

I am using using CST Microwave Studio, a commercial EM solver to simulate a simple photonic crystal given in figure 2(b) of this paper. The top crystal with a smaller cavity.

My question is:

Why do Quad0 and Quad90 occur at different wavelengths ? Quad90 is a degenerate mode of Quad0, shouldn't they occur at same wavelengths?

Also, out of curiosity, why do modes degenerate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook