Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degenerate modes

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    Can two degenerate modes have different resonant frequencies? I am asking question in context of resonance in photonic crystal cavities.

I am reviewing a paper (I have attached it).

Figure 2 (a) and (b) of this paper show modal profile for 2x2PCRR (photonic crystal ring resonator). In this figure two degenerate modes - quadruple0 and quadruple90 exist at different resonant frequencies!!

This is possible? I thought degenerate modes have same energy and resonant frequency values.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. May 27, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I read "On the other hand, a pair of doubly degenerate modes at" to mean that each of the wavelengths exhibits a double degeneracy, and that there are a pair of wavelengths.

I agree that degeneracy refers to multiple modes with the same energy; the phrasing of the article is confusing.

5. May 27, 2014 #4
    Many thanks for taking interest in reading the paper.

I am using using CST Microwave Studio, a commercial EM solver to simulate a simple photonic crystal given in figure 2(b) of this paper. The top crystal with a smaller cavity.

My question is:

Why do Quad0 and Quad90 occur at different wavelengths ? Quad90 is a degenerate mode of Quad0, shouldn't they occur at same wavelengths?

Also, out of curiosity, why do modes degenerate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook