Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degenerate perturbation theory, vector derivative

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    Stuff starts with this:

[tex]
    \mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{C}^{N\times N},\quad t\mapsto A(t)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    A(t)^{\dagger} = A(t)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    A(t)v_n(t) = \lambda_n(t)v_n(t)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    v_n(t)^{\dagger}v_{n'}(t) = \delta_{nn'}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \dot{A}(t)v_n(t) + A(t)\dot{v}_n(t) = \dot{\lambda}_n(t)v_n(t) + \lambda_n(t)\dot{v}_n(t)
    [/tex]

Suppose that [itex]K>1[/itex] is the dimension of some eigenspace corresponding to some eigenvalue [itex]\lambda_n(0)[/itex]. We can assume the components arranged so that

[tex]
    \lambda_n(0)=\lambda_{n+1}(0)=\cdots = \lambda_{n+K}(0)
    [/tex]

I have not understood how to solve [itex]\dot{v}_n(0)[/itex].

Isn't the main aim to solve the coefficients [itex]v_{n'}(0)^{\dagger}\dot{v}_n(0)[/itex], like in the non-degenerate case too? If these are known for all [itex]n'[/itex], then the whole vector can be written as

[tex]
    \dot{v}_n(0) = \sum_{n'=1}^N \big(v_{n'}(0)^{\dagger}\dot{v}_n(0)\big)v_{n'}(0)
    [/tex]

I understand that for those [itex]n'[/itex] such that [itex]\lambda_{n'}(0)\neq\lambda_n(0)[/itex] we have

[tex]
    v_{n'}(0)^{\dagger}\dot{v}_n(0) = \frac{v_{n'}(0)^{\dagger}\dot{A}(0)v_n(0)}{\lambda_n(0) - \lambda_{n'}(0)}
    [/tex]

I also understand that we can assume

[tex]
    v_n(0)^{\dagger}\dot{v}_n(0) = 0
    [/tex]

The real part will be zero due to the assumption [itex]\|v_n(t)\|=1[/itex], and the imaginary part can be chosen zero by choosing right complex phase.

What I have not understood is how to obtain the coefficients for such [itex]n'[/itex] that [itex]n'\neq n[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_{n'}(0)=\lambda_n(0)[/itex].

I have Quantum Mechanics Second Edition by Bransden and Joachain. After discussing how to obtain [itex]v_{n'}(0)[/itex] (by some rotation in the eigenspace) they state

Well to me it seems that I cannot obtain all the coefficients in a way "similar" to the non-degenerate case.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted