Convert Degrees to Inches & Balance Angles: 0.02.30?

• Thread starter raiderUM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation is about determining the angular error of closure and balancing the angles by applying equal corrections to each angle. The total of the angles is 540 degrees and each angle needs to be corrected by 0.02.30. The person is confused about whether to subtract the corrections from each angle or use a different method involving inches. They are also unsure about the meaning of the notation for minutes and seconds.
raiderUM

Homework Statement

I'm working on trying to determine the angular error of closure and balance the angles by applying equal corrections to each angle

total of 540.02.30

each angle needs corrected by needs corrected by 0.02.30?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just subtract 0.02.30 from each angle? or in my notes it looks like the prof converted them into inches then in another problem looks like he divided 12 seconds by 6 and got 2... so confused. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
raiderUM said:

Homework Statement

I'm working on trying to determine the angular error of closure and balance the angles by applying equal corrections to each angle

total of 540.02.30

each angle needs corrected by needs corrected by 0.02.30?
It's not at all clear to me what you are doing.

Is the total supposed to be 540°?
raiderUM said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just subtract 0.02.30 from each angle?
If you did that, then the total would be reduced by 12' 30''
raiderUM said:
or in my notes it looks like the prof converted them into inches then in another problem looks like he divided 12 seconds by 6 and got 2... so confused. please help
I don't see where inches enter into this at all. You might be confused by the notation for minutes and seconds, which is the same notation that is used for feet and inches. For example, 540° 2' 30'' is 540 degrees 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Can you clarify what you're trying to do?

1. How do I convert degrees to inches?

To convert degrees to inches, you first need to determine what type of measurement is being referred to as "degrees." If it is referring to angles, then you can use the formula: 1 degree = (π/180) radians. If it is referring to temperature, then you can use the formula: 1 degree = 1/360 of a circle.

2. Can you explain how to convert degrees to inches in more detail?

Converting degrees to inches is a simple process that involves multiplying the number of degrees by a conversion factor. The conversion factor depends on what type of measurement is being converted. For angles, the conversion factor is (π/180) radians. For temperature, the conversion factor is 1/360 of a circle. Once you have determined the conversion factor, simply multiply the number of degrees by the conversion factor to get the equivalent measurement in inches.

3. What is the purpose of converting degrees to inches?

The purpose of converting degrees to inches is to be able to express a measurement in a different unit of measurement. This can be useful for various applications, such as engineering, construction, and science, where different units of measurement may be used for different purposes.

4. How do I balance angles?

To balance angles, you need to first understand what is meant by "balance." If it is referring to balancing an equation, then you need to ensure that the number of degrees on each side of the equation are equal. If it is referring to balancing an object, then you may need to use tools such as a protractor to measure and adjust the angles to ensure they are equal.

5. What is the significance of the number 0.02.30 in converting degrees to inches and balancing angles?

The number 0.02.30 refers to a specific measurement that is being converted or balanced. It is important to know the context in which this number is being used in order to accurately convert degrees to inches or balance angles. Without knowing the context, it is difficult to provide a specific answer to this question.