1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of a Map

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am having some problems understanding the degree of a continuous map g:circle --> circle

I have found a definition in Munkres (pg 367) that I can't really understand (I'm an engineering student with little algebraic topology) and one in Lawson (pg 181), Topology:A Geometric approach, that makes some sense.

Lawson defines it:

For g as above, consider p : I --> circle and a lift h:I --> R
    such that gp=ph

Then define the degree of g as

deg g =h(1)-h(2)

Intuitively I understand this to be the integer number of times the image of the circle wraps around the circle under g? If so, what about the continuous function g(x)=exp(i*pi*x/2) where x is in[0,2pi). The image would only wrap around half the circle, which would be homotopic to the constant map, a map of degree 0...but according to the above definition this would have degree 1/2?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
    Mike

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    Your example doesn't work because [0, 2pi) is not a circle. If you try to make a circle out of it by identifying 0 and 2pi, then your map would be discontinuous, since g(0) = 1 and g(2pi) = -1.

(Sorry that this isn't a very formal argument, but I think it gets the point across.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?