Finding the Degree of a Map on S^3 and its Homotopy with the Identity

In summary, the conversation involves finding the degree of a map from the 3-sphere to itself and determining if the map is homotopic to the identity. One method discussed is using the determinant of the matrix in R^4 to see if it preserves or reverses orientation. Another method suggested is using the fact that two maps are homotopic if they differ by a sign. This leads to the conclusion that the map has a degree of 1.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi: More on Prelims:

We have a map f: S^3 -->S^3 ; S^3 is the 3-sphere , given by:

(x1,x2,x3,x4)-->(-x2,-x3,-x4,-x1).

We're asked to find its degree, and to determine if f is homotopic to the identity.

I computed that f^4 ( i.e., fofofof ) is the identity, and we have that degree is

multiplicative, so that deg(f)^4=1 , so that we can narrow the choices to degf=+/- 1.

Now, I know we can also compute the induced map on top homology, and see if f is

preserving- or reversing- orientation, but I cannot tell which it is; I am trying to

use a 4-simplex , and see if this map preserves or reverses the orientation, but

I cannot see it clearly.

Another choice I am thinking of using is that f , seen as a map from R^4 to itself,

is a linear map, so that we can calculate Det f , to see if f reverses or preserves

orientation, and then maybe argue that f restricted to the subspace S^3 (unfortunately,

S^3 is not a subspace of R^4 ) has the same effect of preserving/reversing

orientation. Any Ideas/Suggestions/Comments?

see well how to do that

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track: you calculate the determinant of the matrix in R^4, then you check whether it flips the sign on the radial vector field.

I think you can also use this fact:

Given two maps f,g: S^n --->S^n

such that f(x)=/-g(x), then f,g are homotopic thru:

H(x,t)=[(1-t)f(x)+tg(x)]/|| (1-t)f(x)+tg(x) ||

So, your f, and Id are then homotopic and so degf=1

1. What is the degree of a map?

The degree of a map refers to the number of times a map wraps around a particular point in its domain. It is a measure of how many times the map "covers" a given point in its range.

2. How is the degree of a map calculated?

The degree of a map can be calculated by examining the behavior of the map near a specific point. If the map crosses a line drawn through the point, the degree will increase by one. The final degree is the sum of these increments.

3. What does the degree of a map tell us?

The degree of a map can give us information about the topology of its domain and range. For example, a map with a degree of 1 has a simple, connected domain and range, while a map with a higher degree may have more complex topological properties.

4. Can the degree of a map be negative?

Yes, the degree of a map can be negative if the map wraps around a point in the opposite direction than it did previously. This can occur if the map crosses a line through the point in the opposite direction, resulting in a decrease of the degree by one.

5. How is the degree of a map used in mathematics?

The degree of a map is used in a variety of mathematical fields, including topology, differential geometry, and complex analysis. It is a useful tool for studying the properties of functions and their behavior near specific points.