Calculate Degree of Dissociation & pH of 0.1M Propionic Acid

In summary, the degree of dissociation of 0.1M propionic acid, a weak acid, is the fraction of acid molecules that have dissociated into ions in solution, and can be calculated using the equation: α = [H+]/[HA] = √Ka * [HA]. The pH of 0.1M propionic acid, a measure of its acidity, can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]). The acid dissociation constant (Ka) for propionic acid is 1.35 x 10^-5 at 25°C, and is affected by temperature, with higher temperatures resulting
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

Dissociation constant of propionic acid at 25 degree celsius is 1.34 x 10^-5. Calculate the degree of dissociation and pH om 0.1M acid.

Ans: degree of dissociation=0.115
pH=2.93

now my dear friends i have calculated the pH already from the formual correctly. Now please tell me that how can i find this degree of dissociation because i don't know any formula in finding it out.PLease help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

To calculate the degree of dissociation of propionic acid, we can use the formula:

α = √(K_a/[H+])

Where α is the degree of dissociation, K_a is the dissociation constant (1.34 x 10^-5 in this case), and [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions which can be calculated using the pH value.

So, for a 0.1M solution of propionic acid, the concentration of hydrogen ions can be calculated as [H+] = 10^-pH = 10^-2.93 = 6.72 x 10^-3 M.

Plugging in the values, we get:

α = √(1.34 x 10^-5 / 6.72 x 10^-3) = 0.115 or 11.5%

Therefore, the degree of dissociation of propionic acid in a 0.1M solution is 11.5%.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the degree of dissociation of 0.1M propionic acid?

The degree of dissociation of a weak acid, such as propionic acid, is defined as the fraction of the acid molecules that have dissociated into ions in solution. It is also known as the ionization constant. In this case, the degree of dissociation of 0.1M propionic acid can be calculated using the equation: α = [H+]/[HA] = √Ka * [HA], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions, [HA] is the concentration of the acid, and Ka is the acid dissociation constant.

2. How do you calculate the pH of 0.1M propionic acid?

The pH of a solution is a measure of its acidity and is defined as the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration ([H+]). To calculate the pH of 0.1M propionic acid, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the negative logarithm of the acid dissociation constant and [A-] and [HA] are the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, respectively.

3. What is the acid dissociation constant (Ka) of propionic acid?

The acid dissociation constant, Ka, is a measure of the strength of an acid and is defined as the ratio of the concentration of dissociated ions to the concentration of the undissociated acid. For propionic acid, the Ka value is 1.35 x 10^-5 at 25°C. This value can be used to calculate the degree of dissociation and pH of a solution containing propionic acid.

4. How does temperature affect the degree of dissociation of propionic acid?

The degree of dissociation of a weak acid, like propionic acid, is affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the degree of dissociation also increases, resulting in a higher concentration of hydrogen ions and a lower pH. This is because temperature affects the equilibrium constant (K) of the acid dissociation reaction, which in turn affects the degree of dissociation.

5. Can the degree of dissociation and pH of propionic acid change over time?

Yes, the degree of dissociation and pH of propionic acid can change over time due to factors such as dilution, temperature changes, and the addition of other substances. For example, if more acid is added to the solution, the degree of dissociation and pH will decrease. Additionally, as the acid reacts with other substances in the solution, the equilibrium will shift, resulting in changes in the degree of dissociation and pH.