Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of freedom ?

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    An electron moves around a nucleus in 3d space so it is required that there should be 3 quantum no. each specifying its degree of freedom .

the three quantum no. are n,l & m , but n,l& m specify the energy levels avalaible to electron & m specifies the direction of angular momentum vector .

So what is actually meant by degree of freedom & how do n,l & m specify it ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    i'm not sure what you are asking, do you want a claasical explenation of what n,l and m mean?

n,l and m simply come from solving the hydrogen Schödinger equation. And from wikipedia

Degrees of freedom is a general term used in explaining dependence on parameters, and implying the possibility of counting the number of those parameters. In mathematical terms, the degrees of freedom are the dimensions of a phase space.

so this definition agrees with what n,l and m does, i guess.

4. Jan 31, 2008 #3
    I studied my self and found the ans from hydrogen atom

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?