Degree of Freedom for Rigid Body & Rotating CD

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of degrees of freedom for a rigid body with 3 mass points, a rotating CD in a CD player, and the precise data being read on a CD. After much discussion and differing opinions, it is concluded that the rigid body has 6 degrees of freedom, the rotating CD has 1 degree of freedom, and the precise data being read on the CD involves 2 degrees of freedom.
yinx
Hello,

how do i calculate the degree of freedom for a rigid body with 3 mass points?
My guess will be 6 degrees of freedom, 3 for each mass point which gives 9, minus the 3 constraints giving 6 in total. Is this correct?

what about a rotating CD in a CD player? how many degrees of freedom does this particular CD have?

thanks,
yinx

Physics news on Phys.org
Ch 1.4 :D

I figured the three masses had six because the object could move in three space (3) and could rotate in three space (3). 3+3=6

I figured the two masses had five because they could move in three space (3) and could rotate in three space (3) but rotation around the rod was not significant since they are point masses (-1). 3+3-1=5

I am at a loss on the CD. Can it be one, rotation around the fixed axis? The axis is fixed and the CD is rigid. It is not moving in three space and can only rotate in one plane.

for the CD, i would also say one since you can determine entirely its position just by getting its rotation angle...

Did you ever find out the answers yinx?

the degrees of freedom of a CD, three for position and one for rotation, which means it has four degrees of freedom

evad1089 said:
Did you ever find out the answers yinx?

nope, but i thought that its 2 degree of freedom, because any point on the CD can be described by the angle of rotation and the radius from the center. well, just a thought.

yinx said:
nope, but i thought that its 2 degree of freedom, because any point on the CD can be described by the angle of rotation and the radius from the center. well, just a thought.
But that is not the degrees of freedom of the cd but of the "data that is being read". The CD as a rigid body rotating with a fixed axis has only one degree of freedom.

If you are talking about the precise data that is being read in a cd; that is, a point over disc surface, then yes, it'll be 2 degrees of freedom.
drhassan said:
the degrees of freedom of a CD, three for position and one for rotation, which means it has four degrees of freedom

Note that the cd is inside the player, so its position and axis are fixed. So, it can only rotate :P

Last edited:
viko said:
But that is not the degrees of freedom of the cd but of the "data that is being read". The CD as a rigid body rotating with a fixed axis has only one degree of freedom.

If you are talking about the precise data that is being read in a cd; that is, a point over disc surface, then yes, it'll be 2 degrees of freedom.

Hi viko,

can i rephrase what you just mentioned as: if i am mentioning about any arbitrary point on the CD, it has 2 degree of freedom. However the CD as a whole, has 1 degree of freedom?

thanks
yinx

Well, again: we are talking in case the cd is rotating with axis fixed.But i think i said it wrong.
About the point over the cd: note that if its a fixed point, it will also has only 1 degree of freedom.

What I tried to say is that the way the cd reader looks for data involves 2 degrees of freedom, since it has to rotate the disc and also move the laser along it's radius.

viko said:
Well, again: we are talking in case the cd is rotating with axis fixed.

But i think i said it wrong.
About the point over the cd: note that if its a fixed point, it will also has only 1 degree of freedom.

What I tried to say is that the way the cd reader looks for data involves 2 degrees of freedom, since it has to rotate the disc and also move the laser along it's radius.

thanks viko, i got what you mean =)

great
:)

1. What is the degree of freedom for a rigid body?

The degree of freedom for a rigid body is the number of independent parameters that are required to describe its position and orientation in space. In general, a rigid body has six degrees of freedom: three translational degrees of freedom (movement along the x, y, and z axes) and three rotational degrees of freedom (rotation around the x, y, and z axes).

2. How does the degree of freedom affect the motion of a rigid body?

The degree of freedom determines the number of ways in which a rigid body can move in space. For example, a body with fewer degrees of freedom will have more restricted motion compared to a body with more degrees of freedom. This is because a body with more degrees of freedom has more possible ways to change its position and orientation.

3. What is the difference between the degree of freedom for a rigid body and a rotating CD?

The degree of freedom for a rigid body refers to the number of independent parameters needed to describe its motion, while the degree of freedom for a rotating CD refers to the number of independent parameters needed to describe its rotation. A rotating CD has only one degree of freedom, as its motion is restricted to rotation around a single axis.

4. How can we calculate the degree of freedom for a rigid body?

The degree of freedom for a rigid body can be calculated using Euler's formula, which states that the degree of freedom is equal to 6 minus the number of constraints or restrictions on the body's motion. Constraints can include fixed or pinned points, fixed axes of rotation, or other restrictions that limit the body's movement.

5. Why is the concept of degree of freedom important in physics and engineering?

The concept of degree of freedom is important in physics and engineering because it helps us understand and analyze the motion of rigid bodies. By knowing the number of degrees of freedom, we can determine the possible types of motion and predict how a body will behave under different conditions. This is crucial in designing structures and machines, as well as in solving problems related to motion and stability.