1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of polarization

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A beam of unpolarized radiation is incident upon an electron. Show that the degree of polarization in the light scattered at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the incident beam is [itex]\Pi[/itex] where

[tex]\Pi = \frac{1- \cos^2\theta}{1+ \cos^2 \theta}[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution
    This is a Thomson scattering and the polarization is linear so I guess Malus' law must be used, i.e.

[tex]I = I_0 \cos^2 \theta[/tex].

I'm interpreting the degree of polarization as

[tex]\Pi = \frac{I_{max} - I_{min}}{I_{max} + I_{min}}[/tex]

but I cannot get the correct result.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    Is it correct that the intensity is related to the amplitude as [itex]I \propto A^2[/itex] and the incoming amplitude is related to the scattered amplitude as [itex] A' = A \cos \theta[/itex] so that the scattered intensity is [itex]I_s = A^2 \cos^2 \theta[/itex] and the degree of polarization becomes
    [tex]\Pi = \frac{I - I_s}{I + I_s} =\frac{A^2 (1 - \cos^2 \theta)}{A^2 (1 + \cos^2 \theta)} = \frac{1 - \cos^2 \theta}{1 + \cos^2 \theta}[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?