Finding the Degree of \sqrt{3} + \sqrt[3]{4} Over Q: A Polynomial Search

• Thread starter T-O7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the degree over Q of a given number in terms of square roots and cube roots. Different approaches are suggested, including expressing the number as a root of a polynomial with integer coefficients and using a method involving raising the number to different powers to determine its degree. The conversation also touches on the concept of algebraic numbers and their properties.
T-O7
Does anyone know how to find the degree over Q of this number:
[tex]\sqrt{3} + \sqrt[3]{4}[/tex]

In fact I'm having trouble finding any generic polynomial that this satisfies! Please help :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the question is that you're asking so I'm probably being really stupid here, but I assume it would help if you had that expressed as the rote of some polynomial equation with integer coefficients:

[tex]x = \sqrt{3} + \sqrt[3]{4}[/tex]

[tex]x - \sqrt{3} = \sqrt[3]{4}[/tex]

[tex]x^3 - 3\sqrt{3}x^2 + 9x - 3\sqrt{3} = 4[/tex]

[tex]x^3 + 9x - 4 = 3\sqrt{3}x^2 + 3\sqrt{3}[/tex]

[tex]x^6 + 6x^4 - 8x^3 + 81x^2 - 72x - 16 = 27x^4 + 54x^2 + 27[/tex]

[tex]x^6 - 21x^4 - 8x^3 + 27x^2 - 72x - 43 = 0[/tex]

That help at all? (still probably worth checking my steps haha)

Last edited:
Or, if you'd like to do it a different way, just keep raising your number to powers until you get a linearly dependant set. (Treating each distinct irrational number as a basis vector)

For example, for a = √2 + √3:

a^0 = 1
a^1 = √2 + √3
a^2 = 5 + 2 √6
a^3 = 11 √2 + 9 √3
a^4 = 49 + 20 √6

So, Q(a) is a vector space over Q, with basis vectors 1, √2, √3, and √6. We have 5 different vectors, so 1, a, a^2, a^3, and a^4 form a linearly dependant set...

Of course, the fact that you have to go to 5th power to get a dependent set means that the degree is 4?

(And notice that Hurkyl was using [itex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/itex], NOT the number of the original question. I like Zurtex's method: [itex]\sqrt{2}+ ^3\sqrt{3}[/itex] is algebraic of order 6 and so must have degree 6 over Q.

Zurtex's approach is certainly easier to execute, but sometimes it's nonobvious how to manipulate things so that radicals don't proliferate. For example, if the cube roots of both 2 and 4 are in the number, when you cube to get rid of the cube root of 2, the cube root of 4 will just introduce more cube roots of 2.

Great, thanks a lot guys!
Following Zurtex's method, i calculated:
[tex]x^6-9x^4-8x^3+27x^2-72x-11=0[/tex] for [tex]x=\sqrt{3}+\sqrt[3]{4}[/tex].
(There was a little error with zurtex's calculation i think)
I managed to prove that this was irreducible tediously...but (this might be a dumb question) how did you know x was algebraic of order 6 to begin with? That would save me a lot of trouble heh

Because [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{3}) : \mathbb{Q}] = 2[/itex] and [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{4}}) : \mathbb{Q}] = 3[/itex]. Therefore, both 2 and 3 must divide [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{3}, \sqrt[3]{4}}) : \mathbb{Q}][/itex].

This strongly suggests that the degree of your number must be 6... but more work would be needed to prove it.

Oh, and a bit of shamelessness. :smile: If you used my approach to come up with a polynomial your number satisfies, you can also use it directly to prove that it is the minimum polynomial.

For example, for √2 + √3, I just have to prove that {1, a, a^2, a^3} is linearly independent, which is a fairly straightforward task.

1. What does "degree of a number" mean?

The degree of a number refers to the highest exponent or power of that number in a polynomial equation. It is also known as the highest degree of a polynomial.

2. How is the degree of a number calculated?

The degree of a number is calculated by determining the highest exponent in the polynomial equation. For example, in the equation 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree would be 2 because that is the highest exponent.

3. What is the significance of the degree of a number?

The degree of a number is significant because it tells us the highest power or order of the equation. This is important when solving equations and understanding the behavior of the polynomial function.

4. Can the degree of a number be a negative or a fraction?

Yes, the degree of a number can be a negative or a fraction. However, it is more commonly seen as a positive whole number. Negative and fractional degrees are usually found in more complex equations.

5. How is the degree of a number used in real life?

The degree of a number is used in real life in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to model and analyze real-life situations, make predictions and solve problems. For example, in engineering, the degree of a number can be used to determine the maximum or minimum values of a function.