Creating a Degree Plan: A Student's Guide

• Programs
  • Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Plan
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their degree plan and has already made a list of the courses they would like to take. They are meeting with their academic advisor to discuss their options and avoid taking too many upper division math courses at the same time. They have also considered taking some courses through independent study and have discussed the possibility of taking courses at a nearby university with a graduate program. The individual also mentions the importance of including humanities courses in their schedule. The conversation also includes advice on being cautious about taking too many math and science courses simultaneously and the possibility of taking courses through independent study to avoid scheduling conflicts.
sutupidmath
Degree plan!

Well, i have to meet with my academic advisor next week in order to make a plan as which courses should i take up to graduation. I already made a list of the courses that i would like to take. I even tried to list them and fit in the appropriate semester, but they are not fixed, they are flexible in the sense that one course that i added say to take on my 5the semester it doesn't matter whether i take it one semester before or later, but i would like to take all the courses, math ones, that i listed.
Here is how i made it;

Semester I : Calculus I, El.Funcstions, Statistics I,Exploring Arts and Sciences- I am currently on these courses.

Semester II: Calculus II, Elementary Linear Algebra, English Composition I,Practicum in Academic Tutoring, General College Physics I (including lab), Weight Training.

Semester III: Calculus III, Differential Equations, Applied Statistics, English Composition II, Introduction to Philosophy, Introduction to Computer Sciences.

Semester IV: Introduction to Abstract Algebra (Part I),Number Theory(Independent study), General College Physics II, Drawing I, Discrete Math, Logic.

Semester V: Foundations of Applied Math, Real Analysis, Introduction to Psychology,Music appreciation, Introduction to Theology, Statistics&Probability.

Semester VI: Foundations of Geometry(Independent Study), Abstract Algebra-Part II-(Independent Study), Principles of Physics I, Introduction to Sociology, History of Religions.

Semester VII: Partial Differential Equations(Independent Study), Introduction to Topology-Part I-(Independent Study), Psychology and Life, Principles of Physics II.

Semester VIII: Complex Analysis(Independent Study), Introduction to Topology-Part II-(Independent Study), Modern Physics, Senior Research Capstone.

The courses where i wrote Independent Study in parentheses, are courses that are not regularly offered through the department, but if one wants to take them, then you've got to do independent study on them.

SO, what do you guys think, is this a reasonable course load, especially in Math courses. Or in order to get a chance to go to a moderate grad school i need to add some more upperdivision math courses, and do independent study on them, like: Differential Geometry, Algebraic Geometry etc.?

I am going to meet with my advisor this Monday, i guess, so if anyone could give me some advice, in either what math classes to take and also in what order, i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a small note -- make sure there is no cap on the number of independent courses you're allowed to take. Otherwise, I think you've got too many independent courses there. Is there no graduate program in math at your school that offers advanced courses?

octahedron said:
Just a small note -- make sure there is no cap on the number of independent courses you're allowed to take. Otherwise, I think you've got too many independent courses there. Is there no graduate program in math at your school that offers advanced courses?

Well, unfortunately not. However, a proffessor of mine is trying to set some kind of agreement with a bigger university near our university, that offeres a graduate program, so some of us who are interested might go there and take some grad courses on our last semester of study.

Just a quick note, you do not need to plan your entire schedule out from start to finish. Also I am lad you have worked in some humanities there. I know it is not a shared opinion here but I think humanities courses are important to your college studies.

I wish I could have taken Diff EQ concurrently with Calc 3, would have made scheduling easier for me last semester. Schedule seems ok to me, just be careful how many math and science classes you take at the same time. Due to scheduling conflicts I took Num. Theory, Real Analysis and Diff Eq at the same time along with a Modern Physics course. Diff EQ and Physics weren't bad but those other 2 math courses made it quite a load. so that is something to think about

Last edited:
mgiddy911 said:
Just a quick note, you do not need to plan your entire schedule out from start to finish. Also I am lad you have worked in some humanities there. I know it is not a shared opinion here but I think humanities courses are important to your college studies.

I wish I could have taken Diff EQ concurrently with Calc 3, would have made scheduling easier for me last semester. Schedule seems ok to me, just be careful how many math and science classes you take at the same time. Due to scheduling conflicts I took Num. Theory, Real Analysis and Diff Eq at the same time along with a Modern Physics course. Diff EQ and Physics weren't bad but those other 2 math courses made it quite a load. so that is something to think about

Yeah, that is a good point. Thats why i am meeting with my academic advisor, in order to avoid such a load, especially when there are some courses like Diff eq. Real Analysis, Discrete math, Intro to Abstract Algebra, that are given every other year, and some other every other semester. So, i really need to be carefull, because as you said i might end up having like up to 4 upperdivison courses at the same time, which would be a pain. Because i really want to take all of those courses, so if i had no choice i would go up to 4 upper division courses at the same time.

Yes, sometimes you can not avoid the scheduling conflicts. Though independent study is sometimes an option. If you really need to take Abs. Algebra and it is not bein offered the year you need it at all, then you can sometimes work something out with your professors to do an independent study class.

I am not sure if that logic course will be necessary or not. If its required by the dept. that's another story. Comp programing classes help with logic, as do upper level proof oriented classes in math. That class sounds like class in symbolic logic which can be nice but I do not know if it is necessary. I do not mean to degrade the class or anyone in it but at my school the "Logic" class is mainly an alternative to taking math. For non math/sci majors they still need one class that is "math oriented" or something like that so they take logic

Well, is there any course that deals with the foundations of math that i need to add to my previous courses? I mean a course that is based on nothing else, but rather that every single thing builts upon that? Because i am really interested to have something on the foundations of math. I think that Foundations of Geometry is sth similar, but is there any other course that applies to all branches of math in general? Like would such a course be sth in formal logic, set theory or??

I am no expert but I don't know how much a class in formal logic will act as a "foundation class" There may be some thins that build off it. Logic can help you in proofs but a class in formal logic is not a necessity for higher math classes based in proofs.

I also feel that generally set theory is no a lower level class, though it may have "foundation class" aspects, it is generally not s lower division class.
Here is a likely first few classes for maths in college assuming no class needs to be taken for remedial studies in algebra or precalc.

1st Year: Calc1, Calc 2
2nd Year: Calc 3, Diff EQ
Some where in there Linear Algebra will double up depending on what its requirements are. Maybe Linear Algebra is taken concurrently with Calc 3. Number Theory likewise fits in here somewhere. Its pre-reqs should be minimal so maybe it could be taken concurrently with calc 1 or 2.

Those are your foundation classes, others build from there. They are the first classes you go through before "upper level classes" like Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Topology, ...

Please see this current thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=225194
I stand perhaps a bit corrected in saying formal logic will not be a foundation.
However I still do not think it is taught as an intro class to be a foundation in that sense. For instance if you first take formal logic as an intro math class and then take calc 1, I don't know that you wills see any difference.

Let me try and clarify what I meant.
It will not be until your upper division classes and perhaps maybe not even until grad school that you really begin to see the effects of your logic class. You will go through calc 1-3 and Diff EQ with very little tie n from your logic class.
Number theory may see some tie in just through the proofs you do, but again not much relation. Same holds for linear algebra.

Set Theory and Real Analysis will be where the logic class helps you out (more so in ST but my RA class began with intro to ST to get us up to speed with notation)
My point is that it is not until upper division classes that you will o in depth enough into the basic topics that logic plays an important role. RA will o back over topics from calc 1,2 and rigorously re-define, exlplain, prove what you learned a year or two earlier in those classes

Last edited:
Well, thanks for your input mgiddy911, it has been a real help.
At my university though i think many students take Linear Algebra before they take Diff. Eq. Although i am currently attending classes, tests, HW and all such things in Diff.EQ and it doesn't look that difficult at this level. But i think the prerequisites for Linear algebra are just Calc I,II, wheras for Diffl Eq it is preferred to have Calc III(or concurrently take it) and Lin. Algebra, although these last two aren't really a prerequisite.

Thnx again. I'll see what my advisor says also tomorrow.

Well, i registered for fall semester 2008 in these classes:

Calculus II,
Elementary Linear Algebra,
Intro to Abstract Algebra,
English Composition I,
Practicum in Academic Tutoring,
Weight Training.

I think i'am really going to enjoy it. I'm happy lol...

Last edited:

1. What is a degree plan and why is it important?

A degree plan is a detailed outline of the courses and requirements needed to complete a specific degree program. It is important because it helps students stay on track and ensure that they are taking the necessary classes to graduate on time.

2. How do I create a degree plan?

To create a degree plan, you should start by researching the requirements for your specific degree program. Then, meet with your academic advisor to discuss your goals and develop a plan that works for you. You can also use online resources or degree planning tools provided by your university.

3. Can I change my degree plan?

Yes, you can change your degree plan at any time. It is common for students to make changes as they progress through their academic journey. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to ensure that you are still on track to graduate.

4. What should I consider when creating a degree plan?

When creating a degree plan, you should consider your academic interests, career goals, and any prerequisite courses required for your desired major. It is also important to consider your personal schedule and any other commitments you may have.

5. How often should I review and update my degree plan?

You should review and update your degree plan at least once a semester. This will help you stay on track and make any necessary adjustments as you progress through your degree program. It is also important to review your degree plan with your advisor before registering for classes each semester.