Math Degree Projects/Theses: Ideas & Resources

In summary, The conversation discusses topics related to mathematics, specifically in regards to writing a degree project or thesis. The person asks for suggestions and resources for potential degree project topics, with a preference for Mathematical Physics. The conversation then moves on to a discussion about changing the assumption of -1*1=-1 in algebra and its implications. The conversation also briefly touches on unsolved math problems and the definition of the square root of -1.
JohanL
Next year I am going to write a degree project/thesis in mathematics.
Do you have any suggestions or do you know a webpage with
lists of possible degree projects. Preferably Mathematical Physics.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's a rather broad request. What are your interests? What issues in Math and Physics excite you?

Extremely broad.

I am pretty sure mathematics (or just algebra) is based on the assumption that -1*1=-1. Otherwise, we can't prove -1*(-1)=1.

Look into how mathematics might, if it does, change if we change it to -1*1=1. Therefore, 1*1=-1. Which means, sqrt(-1) is defined.

Probably easy to solve, but I'm curious to know what happens at the higher levels of mathematics.

Start reading books/papers on the areas that you're interested in. Soon you'll find a place where you can contribute. :eek:)

best of luck!

what's the square root of one in your system? And anyway, I thought 1 was defined as the multiplicative identity. I don't see how this system could be meaningful, or even consistent.

StatusX said:
what's the square root of one in your system? And anyway, I thought 1 was defined as the multiplicative identity. I don't see how this system could be meaningful, or even consistent.

Square root of one doesn't "exist".

You can check that using the fundamental laws of algebra.

JasonRox said:
Look into how mathematics might, if it does, change if we change it to -1*1=1. Therefore, 1*1=-1. Which means, sqrt(-1) is defined.

All you're doing is interchanging the representations of the additive identity and its additive inverse.

In any case, the square root of -1 is defined.

What is a math degree project/thesis?

A math degree project/thesis is a research-based project or paper that is completed by students pursuing a degree in mathematics. It typically involves the application of mathematical concepts and theories to solve a real-world problem or answer a research question.

How do I choose a topic for my math degree project/thesis?

Choosing a topic for your math degree project/thesis can be challenging. You can start by brainstorming ideas that interest you or align with your career goals. It is also helpful to consult with your advisor or professors for suggestions and resources.

What are some resources for finding ideas for my math degree project/thesis?

There are many resources available for finding ideas for your math degree project/thesis. You can start by browsing through math journals, attending conferences, or joining online forums and communities. You can also consult with your professors and advisors for resources and suggestions.

What is the process for completing a math degree project/thesis?

The process for completing a math degree project/thesis can vary depending on your university's requirements. However, it typically involves conducting research, analyzing data, and writing a paper or creating a project to present your findings. You will also need to defend your project/thesis in front of a panel of faculty members.

What are some examples of math degree projects/theses?

There are many examples of math degree projects/theses that you can explore for inspiration or reference. Some examples include analyzing mathematical models to predict stock market trends, using algorithms to optimize transportation routes, and studying the applications of topology in biology. You can also check with your university's library or department for previously completed projects/theses by students.