What degrees do members have and what were their dissertations about?

• Thread starter Geographer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the person wants to get an MSc in Physical Geography, but is undecided on whether or not to go on to get an MSc. They are currently in their 3rd year of a MSc Physical Geography and are working on a dissertation on mantle 'hotspots'.
Geographer
Out of pure curiosity, I'd be very interested to find out what degrees members have and in what subjects. Also, what you wrote for your dissertation to get your degree (s).

I'm not yet finished school, so I haven't experienced university life. I know that I want to study geography, and get a BSc. I'm still undecided on whether or not to go on to get an MSc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geographer said:
Out of pure curiosity, I'd be very interested to find out what degrees members have and in what subjects. Also, what you wrote for your dissertation to get your degree (s).

I'm not yet finished school, so I haven't experienced university life. I know that I want to study geography, and get a BSc. I'm still undecided on whether or not to go on to get an MSc.

I hope you don't decide whether or not you will get an MSc. until you completed atleast 2 years of university.

I'm doing MSc Physical Geography.
I'm doing my 3rd year literature based dissertation on mantle 'hotspots'. I havn't a clue what my 4th year one is going to be about

I'm currently working towards my MSc in Theoretical Physics.
Topic is "Deformations in gauge and gravitational theories". Basically I'm trying to take advantage of a certain mathematical structure that generalises instantons to calculate the effective gravitational action in the context of String Theory, so to all orders in [tex]\alpha'[/tex]. It worked for Abelian Yang Mills, and show some promise in the non-Abelian case.

JasonRox said:
I hope you don't decide whether or not you will get an MSc. until you completed atleast 2 years of university.

OK, thanks. I'm almost certain I want to study geography at university, but I'll think about the MSc more when I'm actually there then.

So, is the MSc just simply a stepping-stone to a Ph.d? Or is there any advantage to getting an Masters rather than stopping at a Bachelors? I want to teach geography in secondary school (high school).

As I previously mentioned, I'm still in school so any replies will be much appreciated. I've had to rely on hearing the experiances of students at university to get some insight, because the majority of university sites I've visited give out very little info.

Are you in the US? If so, and you want to teach high school, then you would will probably be looking at a degree in education, with a concentration on science. I don't think there is such a thing as Geography Education, so you would probably need to know how to do some chemistry, physics and biology to actually get a degree in Secondary (Science) Education.

No. I'm actually in the UK, but I suppose the same thing applies here. I do know, from reading the prospectus that a university sent me, that if I go to that university I would spend 3 years on the degree, and then 1 year for the secondary education (called a PGCE over here).

Having checked the prospectus, you're right - geography isn't available on the secondary teacher training courses.

In the UK you can do MSc courses without having to do a batchelors degree first, like the one I'm doing. For the first year the course is identical to the BSc course, and at the end of year one if you score highly enough on your exams you can switch over to the MSc. In years 2 and 3 the courses are still mostly the same as each other, the difference being the BScs have to write a 2 module field/lab research based dissertation, and the MScs have to do a 1 module literature based one. The MScs then stay on an extra year and do a second larger dissertation.

Its said to be the cheapest way to get a masters degree, as you are an undergrad for the whole course meaning you are entitled to the same financial support and you pay the same tuition fees in your last year as in your first, where as if you do a separate masters you need to reapply as a mature student, which I hear is more expensive. (This may have changed with the new top up fees etc though...)

A masters needn't just be a stepping stone to a Ph.d. Employers will view it as a better degree and it will give you an edge over the other students when looking for work.

Thanks, matthyaouw. I honestly didn't know that you could get a masters without having to get a bachelors first. I'm actually very glad to hear that! :smile:

Do you know of any UK (preferably English) universities that do an MSc in Physical Geography? I know I could easily find out, but I've searched a few times and found very little. So if you could possibly refer me to a few universities, that would be much easier. Thanks.

I'm doing mine at the University of Hull. I'm pretty sure that there are others that do it, but no names spring to mind at the moment... They should be listed on the UCAS website somewhere. If you're interested in knowing more about the course feel free to send me a PM.

BSc: Mathematics, MSc: Mathematics and PhD.

If I gave the dissertation titles my anonymity disappears...

(I did my MSc when there were no MMaths, MPhys, MChems or the like...)

Geographer said:
Do you know of any UK (preferably English) universities that do an MSc in Physical Geography? I know I could easily find out, but I've searched a few times and found very little. So if you could possibly refer me to a few universities, that would be much easier. Thanks.
http://www.le.ac.uk/gg/pgrad/MScPhysGeog/index.html
http://www.liv.ac.uk/Geography/postgrad/msc_env_chg.htm
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/pgp06/programme/307
http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/geography/postgraduate/masters/
http://www.findamasters.com/search/showcourse.asp?btype=3&cour_id=5615

google is your friend :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, matt. I'll have a look into the course at Hull, and if I need anymore advice I'll be sure to PM you. :)

And thanks, J77. Very helpful links.

I've got a BEng in Mechanical Engineering, with an emphasis towards design, materials and manufacture. My dissertation was on atomisation.

1. What is the purpose of a dissertation?

A dissertation is a research project that serves as the final requirement for obtaining a degree. It allows students to demonstrate their knowledge, critical thinking skills, and ability to conduct independent research in their field of study.

2. How long does it take to complete a dissertation?

The time it takes to complete a dissertation varies depending on the program and the individual's progress. On average, it can take 1-2 years for a master's degree and 3-5 years for a doctoral degree.

3. What is the difference between a master's thesis and a doctoral dissertation?

A master's thesis is a shorter and less comprehensive research project compared to a doctoral dissertation. It is usually required for a master's degree, while a dissertation is required for a doctoral degree. A dissertation is more extensive and often requires original research.

4. Can I choose my own dissertation topic?

In most cases, students are given the freedom to choose their dissertation topic. However, the topic must be relevant to their field of study and approved by their advisor and the dissertation committee.

5. What is the defense process for a dissertation?

The defense process involves presenting and defending your dissertation to a committee of faculty members. This typically includes a presentation of your research, followed by a question and answer session. The committee then evaluates your work and determines if you have successfully met the requirements for your degree.