What Are the Different Types of Degrees and Their Potential Career Paths?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Jordan Joab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the conversation discusses the degrees offered by academic institutions, including bachelors, masters, professional, and PhD, and the potential work and opportunities associated with each. There is a question about the validity of the statement that PhD holders are rarely considered for non-research positions and the reasoning behind it. Some statistics on physicists and personal experiences in the computer industry are shared. The conversation ends with a general discussion about the differences between a PhD and professional degree and the importance of having a passion for your field of study.
Jordan Joab
Hello. May I get a description of the common degrees offered by academic institutions (bachelors, masters, professional, PhD) and what kind of work/duties/options would each of these open/close for an individual?

I'm interested after I heard a comment about "PhD holders rarely considered for non-research positions."

Jordan Joab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jordan,

You'll probably have to narrow your question down a little if you want a specific response. These days you can get a degree in just about anything - but it academics only hinders you if you allow it.

You can try this: http://www.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?ct=OOH

Although it doesn't list out generally available academic degrees and then tell you what you can do with it, it lists just about all the job descriptions in the US, as well as academic qualifications required to get the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm more interested in finding out whether it's true or not that PhDs are rarely considered for non-research positions and if true, what's the reasoning?

Jordan.

Here are some statistics on physicists: http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emptrends.html

Jordan Joab said:
Well, I'm more interested in finding out whether it's true or not that PhDs are rarely considered for non-research positions and if true, what's the reasoning?

I can't talk about physics, but in the computer industry, Ph.Ds are hired for non-research positions all the time.

To the degree that they aren't considered for non-research positions in physics, I would guess that the reason is purely monetary. Ph.Ds cost more than non-Ph.Ds, so if a non-Ph.D could do the job, why hire a Ph.D.?

The danger of having a Ph.D. is that it can over-qualify you for many positions. If you're looking for a position outside of academia or industrial research, then employers are likely to feel that you'll move on from their position as soon as something better comes along.

Generally though, it's all about how you sell yourself. You can't expect the Ph.D. to get a job for you - regardless of field.

On the other hand, getting a Ph.D. is really tough. You have to live on minimal funds and work extremely long hours in a competative and challenging environment. You really have to have a passion for your field to get through without burning out. There's not much point in putting yourself though all that if you have no interest in pursuing research.

Alright. What would be the main difference(s) between a PhD and a Professional degree? What doors do each one open or close? What can and can't you do with each? Details please. Thanks.

Jordan Joab.

You're asking a very general question. Why don't you narrow it down to specific fields of study so the posters here can answer them?

Ah well, it doesn't matter anyways. This whole "going to college" thing has me stressed out and more confused than ever. I'll probably end up with some lousy career anyways. Thanks for the replies and my apologies for wasting your time.

Jordan Joab.

Well with that mindset I'm sure you are correct
(no offense intended)
but really, cheer up mate.

What are the different types of degrees and their potential career paths?

There are four main types of degrees: associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctorate. Each degree has its own set of potential career paths.

What is an associate's degree and what career paths can it lead to?

An associate's degree is typically a two-year degree that can be obtained from a community college or technical school. It can lead to careers in fields such as healthcare, technology, business, and education.

What is a bachelor's degree and what career paths can it lead to?

A bachelor's degree is a four-year degree that is typically obtained from a college or university. It can lead to careers in a wide range of fields, including business, education, healthcare, science, and the arts.

What is a master's degree and what career paths can it lead to?

A master's degree is a graduate-level degree that can be obtained after completing a bachelor's degree. It can lead to careers in fields such as business, healthcare, law, education, and engineering.

What is a doctorate degree and what career paths can it lead to?

A doctorate degree is the highest level of degree that can be obtained and typically requires several years of study beyond a master's degree. It can lead to careers in academia, research, and other specialized fields such as medicine, law, and psychology.