Calculating the z Score for 95% Confidence Level - Mathematical Method | Sirsh

• Thread starter Sirsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, to find the z score for a given percentage degree of confidence, you can use the standard normal distribution and calculate the value of z such that the area under the curve between -z and z is equal to the desired percentage. In this case, for a 95% confidence level, the z score is approximately 1.9600. This can be determined mathematically by using the equation for the standard normal distribution and solving for z.
Sirsh
Hi, I'ld like to know if anyone knows how to find the 'z' score inrelation to a percentage degree of confidence. The question is: Determine the z score that would give a result with a degree of confidence of 95%.

I know that it is, 1.9600. However, I would like to know how to figure this out mathematically.

Thanks,
Sirsh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
Hi, I'ld like to know if anyone knows how to find the 'z' score inrelation to a percentage degree of confidence. The question is: Determine the z score that would give a result with a degree of confidence of 95%.

I know that it is, 1.9600. However, I would like to know how to figure this out mathematically.

Thanks,
Sirsh.

It's based on the area under the standard normal distribution:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-\frac{1}{2}z^2} [/tex]

Your question "Determine the z score that would give a result with a degree of confidence of 95%." comes down to "what is the value of z such that the area under the standard normal distribution between -z and z is equal to 0.95?". And it turns out that:

[tex]\int_{-1.96}^{1.96} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-\frac{1}{2}z^2} dz \approx 0.95[/tex]

Thanks alot, gerben!

What is the z score for a 95% confidence level?

The z score for a 95% confidence level is approximately 1.96. This means that there is a 95% chance that the true population mean falls within 1.96 standard deviations above or below the sample mean.

How do you calculate the z score for a 95% confidence level?

The z score for a 95% confidence level can be calculated using the formula z = (x - μ) / (σ / √n), where x is the sample mean, μ is the population mean, σ is the population standard deviation, and n is the sample size.

Why is the z score used for calculating confidence intervals?

The z score is used for calculating confidence intervals because it allows us to standardize the data and compare it to the standard normal distribution. This allows us to determine the probability of a given value falling within a specific range, and thus determine the confidence level.

What is the significance of a 95% confidence level?

A 95% confidence level means that there is a 95% chance that the true population mean falls within the calculated confidence interval. This is considered a high level of confidence and is commonly used in scientific research.

Can the z score be used for any confidence level?

Yes, the z score can be used for any confidence level. However, the value of the z score will vary depending on the desired confidence level. For example, for a 90% confidence level, the z score would be approximately 1.645.