Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of Freedom help

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to compare fits to data in a certain way. I start with the initial data and fit and compute the [itex]\chi[/itex]^2 value for example:

x: 1 2 3 4
    y: 2.1 3.9 6.0 10.1

I get the linear fit, [itex]\chi[/itex]^2 value and degrees of freedom=3.

Now with what I'm working with, I don't actually know the values of x. The above values of x are just assumed (but the y values are known). I'm looking to reduce the [itex]\chi[/itex]^2 value so I let the fourth x value (4) equal 5 instead and then make a new linear fit with a new [itex]\chi[/itex]^2 value. It's obvious that the new [itex]\chi[/itex]^2 value will be smaller than the original but do I lose a degree of freedom by choosing the last x value to be 5 instead of assuming its 4?

I want to be able to compare the [itex]\chi[/itex]^2/(degrees of freedom) value for the original case (final x=4) and the adjusted case (final x=5).

I'm confused for either case. E.g. If the degrees of freedom remain the same, I can keep adding more and more points to get a better fit without any penalty.
    On the other hand, if the degrees of freedom are reduced, if I were to add more points, would the degrees of freedom eventually hit 0?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted