Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of freedom in HII regions

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    I have to calculate the number of degrees of freedom within an HII region. I am asked to find the number of degrees of freedom before and after the hydrogen gas gets ionized by the star and forms an HII region. Does each particle have 3 degrees of freedom? I am given the number of ionizing photons per second, the temperature of the HII region, and the density of molecular hydrogen. I have calculated the stromgren radius.

To find the number of degrees of freedom in the resulting HII region, do I just multiply the volume of the region times the molecular hydrogen density and then multiply by 6 to take into account the fact that the hydrogen atom gets decomposed into protons and electrons??

I have no idea how to find the number of degrees of freedom in the molecular hydrogen gas before it gets ionized. What volume would I use?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted