Degrees of freedom

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

when we talk about degrees of freedom in atoms and molecules should time be a degree of freedom.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
when we talk about degrees of freedom in atoms and molecules should time be a degree of freedom.
Short answer … no. :wink:

Time is in no way a degree of freedom!

why , time is a dimension which we move through so why is it not a degree of freedom.

why , time is a dimension which we move through so why is it not a degree of freedom.
I'm guessing because it is a restricted dimension. Just as if the particle was constrained to one single plane, the normal axis would no longer be a degree of freedom.

Just a guess, though. I've never actually talked about degrees of freedom in this context.

but I thought traveling back in time was still theoretically possible . And if we bring in theory of relativity if I were to travel faster then object A and then slow down a little bit I would change my time difference to object A and thus be moving forward a little bit then backwards in my time difference thus allowing time as a degree of freedom.

diazona
Homework Helper
Gaining freedom in time makes you lose freedom in space, though. The total number of degrees of freedom doesn't change just because you happen to be moving in a particular way.

ok i see , what about traveling back in time.