Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of freedom

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    when we talk about degrees of freedom in atoms and molecules should time be a degree of freedom.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Short answer … no. :wink:

4. May 6, 2009 #3
    Time is in no way a degree of freedom!

5. May 6, 2009 #4
    why , time is a dimension which we move through so why is it not a degree of freedom.

6. May 6, 2009 #5
    I'm guessing because it is a restricted dimension. Just as if the particle was constrained to one single plane, the normal axis would no longer be a degree of freedom.

Just a guess, though. I've never actually talked about degrees of freedom in this context.

7. May 6, 2009 #6
    but I thought traveling back in time was still theoretically possible . And if we bring in theory of relativity if I were to travel faster then object A and then slow down a little bit I would change my time difference to object A and thus be moving forward a little bit then backwards in my time difference thus allowing time as a degree of freedom.

8. May 6, 2009 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

Gaining freedom in time makes you lose freedom in space, though. The total number of degrees of freedom doesn't change just because you happen to be moving in a particular way.

9. May 6, 2009 #8
    ok i see , what about traveling back in time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook