Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of freedom

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    They say that the two degrees of freedom of a photon are its two helicity states.

Why are the energy or the momentum of a photon not degrees of freedom of a photon? They can differ and they are Lorentz invariant.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

For each value of the propagation vector there are two degrees of freedom.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3
    thanks, Bill

Now I see it is a silly question. In mechanics, like a ball moving around, momentum is not a df, either. But the directions it can move are.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4
    Wouldn't a constraint on the directions it can move be a constraint on its momentum? I think the usual example of this type of constraint is something like an ice skate -- where the velocity / momentum can only be in one direction (or perhaps within a small range).

Maybe I'm confusing phase space coordinates with degrees of freedom...anyone feel like discussing the differences between the two, or expanding on what exactly a degree of freedom is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook