1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dehydration / demoisturization

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    hello!

what is the fastest and most efficient way to dehydrate/demoisturize?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dehydrate what? Are you talking about drying tobacco, grain, milk, or dehydrating gypsum?

4. Dec 15, 2014 #3
    I was basically thinking of dehydrating an amount of air
    then I would be interested in dehydrating sliced fresh (not cooked) potatoes

5. Dec 15, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Drying air and using the dry air for food dehydration? Probably don't want to bubble/sparge the air through sulfuric acid then. Standard dessicants like silica gel calcium sulfate that can be "recharged" by heating should be adequate for dehydrating foods. Potatoes? Gonna be slow. If you've got refrigeration capacity, you could run the air through a cold trap; maintenance and prevention of Legionaire's, or other organisms in a cold trap might get FDA or public health departments involved.

6. Dec 15, 2014 #5
    no no, don't confuse these two things

just say I want to demoisture an amount of air only

7. Dec 15, 2014 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Silica gel, calcium sulfate, phosphorus pentoxide, Karl Fischer reagent, various temperature cold traps, molecular sieves, come to mind immediately, and various combinations. Some of these can be re-used, some can't.

8. Dec 15, 2014 #7
    I've used perlite in the past to get food nice and crispy. But make sure you don't let the food come in contact with the perlite, might be dangerous, I'm not sure.

9. Dec 15, 2014 #8
    Buy yourself a dehumidifier at Sears.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook