What is the purpose of these mathematical operations?

In summary, the del operator is applied to vector fields or scalar fields, where it creates a vector or scalar respectively. The divergence applied to a vector field gives a scalar, the gradient applied to a scalar field gives a vector, and the Laplacian can be applied to either a scalar or vector field, producing the same type of field as the original. It is not possible to apply these operators to a single vector. The correct notation is \nabla for the del operator and \nabla^2 or \bigtriangleup for the Laplacian.
Bucky
I've been reading up on these three recently, and wondered if anyone could confirm what I think they do. I'm not 100% I understand these.

del [tex](\bigtriangleup)[/tex], when applied to a scalar, creates a vector with that scalar as each of the XYZ values. eg

[tex]\bigtriangleup . x = (x,x,x)[/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangleup . 3 = (3,3,3)[/tex]

divergence is applied to a vector, and sums the components of the vector into a scalar. eg

[tex]\bigtriangleup . (x,y,z) = x+y+z [/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangleup . (1,2,3) = 1+2+3 = 6 [/tex]

finally, laplacian. This is the one I'm not as sure about. It's applied to a scalar I think?

[tex]\bigtriangleup ^2 = \bigtriangleup(\bigtriangleup) [/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangleup ^2 . x = \bigtriangleup(\bigtriangleup . x) [/tex]
[tex]= \bigtriangleup((x,x,x)) [/tex]
[tex] = 3x [/tex]

That doesn't seem right (I think I'm meant to end up with a vector). Can laplacian be broken up like that or does it have a special rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bucky said:
I've been reading up on these three recently, and wondered if anyone could confirm what I think they do. I'm not 100% I understand these.

del [tex](\bigtriangleup)[/tex], when applied to a scalar, creates a vector with that scalar as each of the XYZ values. eg

[tex]\bigtriangleup . x = (x,x,x)[/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangleup . 3 = (3,3,3)[/tex]

divergence is applied to a vector, and sums the components of the vector into a scalar. eg

[tex]\bigtriangleup . (x,y,z) = x+y+z [/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangleup . (1,2,3) = 1+2+3 = 6 [/tex]

finally, laplacian. This is the one I'm not as sure about. It's applied to a scalar I think?

[tex]\bigtriangleup ^2 = \bigtriangleup(\bigtriangleup) [/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangleup ^2 . x = \bigtriangleup(\bigtriangleup . x) [/tex]
[tex]= \bigtriangleup((x,x,x)) [/tex]
[tex] = 3x [/tex]

That doesn't seem right (I think I'm meant to end up with a vector). Can laplacian be broken up like that or does it have a special rule?

No.

Those are differential operators so they must applied to vector fields or scalar fields

The divergence applied to a vector field gives a number .
The gradient applied to a scala field gives a vector.
The laplacian may be applied to a scalar field or to a vector field producing something of the same nature as what it was applied to.

You can't apply those things to a single vector.

ok, is method right? Regardless of the size of the field, are you still doing "that" to each element?

Bucky,

Nothing in your original post is correct. You need to use the definition of the del operator, together with the definition of a dot product. To write a dot product of del with some scalar is nonsense.

Also, I've never seen anyone write the del operator the way that you have done it. It is always written [itex]\nabla[/itex]. The Laplacian on the other hand can be written either as [itex]\nabla^2[/itex] or [itex]\bigtriangleup[/itex].

1) What is the Del operator?

The Del operator, represented by the symbol ∇, is a vector operator used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving vector fields.

2) What is divergence?

Divergence is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of a vector field's source or sink at a given point. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the Del operator and the vector field. A positive divergence indicates a source, while a negative divergence indicates a sink.

3) How is the divergence of a vector field calculated?

The divergence of a vector field F = (Fx, Fy, Fz) is calculated using the formula ∇ · F = (∂Fx/∂x) + (∂Fy/∂y) + (∂Fz/∂z). This involves taking the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to each coordinate.

4) What is Laplacian?

Laplacian is a scalar quantity that represents the magnitude of a vector field's divergence at a given point. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the Del operator and the gradient of the vector field. It is commonly used in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

5) How is the Laplacian of a vector field calculated?

The Laplacian of a vector field F = (Fx, Fy, Fz) is calculated using the formula ∇ · (∇F) = (∂²Fx/∂x²) + (∂²Fy/∂y²) + (∂²Fz/∂z²). This involves taking the second partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to each coordinate.