Defining Del in Index Notation: Which Approach is Appropriate?

In summary, the appropriate way to define del in index notation is ##\nabla \equiv \vec{e_i}\partial_i()## and in non-cartesian coordinates, the scale factors h_i are generally non-constant functions of position. This is demonstrated by the example of calculating the dot product of two vectors using both definitions of del.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Which way is appropriate for defining del in index notation: ##\nabla \equiv \partial_i()\vec{e_i}## or ##\nabla \equiv \vec{e_i}\partial_i()##. The two cannot be generally equivalent. Quick example.

Let ##\vec{v}## and ##\vec{w}## be vectors. Then $$\nabla \vec{v} \cdot \vec{w} = \partial_i(v_j \vec{e_j})\vec{e_i} \cdot u_k \vec{e_k}\\ = \partial_i(v_j \vec{e_j}) u_i$$ yet using the other definition for del implies $$\nabla \vec{v} \cdot \vec{w} = \vec{e_i} \partial_i(v_j \vec{e_j}) \cdot u_k \vec{e_k}\\=\vec{e_i} v_ju_k (\partial_i(\vec{e_j}) \cdot \vec{e_k}) + \vec{e_i} u_j \partial_i(v_j)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Which way is appropriate for defining del in index notation: ##\nabla \equiv \partial_i()\vec{e_i}## or ##\nabla \equiv \vec{e_i}\partial_i()##.

The second. In orthogonal coordinates [itex]\nabla = \sum_i \mathbf{e}_i h_i \partial _i [/itex] and in non-cartesian coordinates [itex]h_i[/itex] is generally a non-constant function of position.

pasmith said:
The second. In orthogonal coordinates [itex]\nabla = \sum_i \mathbf{e}_i h_i \partial _i [/itex] and in non-cartesian coordinates [itex]h_i[/itex] is generally a non-constant function of position.
So is ##h_i = |\partial_i \vec{r}|## where ##\vec{r}## is the position vector, expressed in cartesian coordinates as ##\vec{r} = x \hat{i} + y \hat{j} +z \hat{k}##?

What is "Del" in index notation?

Del, also known as the nabla symbol (∇), is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, or curl of a vector field. It is commonly used in index notation to simplify equations and expressions.

How is "Del" written in index notation?

In index notation, "Del" is written as ∇ or ∂i, where i represents the index of the variable being differentiated. For example, if we have a vector field F(x,y,z) = (x2, y, z3), then the gradient of F would be written as ∇F = (∂xF, ∂yF, ∂zF) = (2x, 1, 3z2).

What are the different operations "Del" can represent?

As mentioned, "Del" can represent three different operations in vector calculus: the gradient, divergence, and curl. The gradient (∇f) represents the rate of change of a scalar field in a specific direction. The divergence (∇·F) represents the flow of a vector field from a point. The curl (∇ x F) represents the circulation of a vector field around a point.

How is "Del" used in vector calculus equations?

"Del" is used in vector calculus equations to simplify the notation and make it easier to perform calculations. For example, the Laplacian operator (∇2) can be written as ∇·∇ or ∇2f, where f is a scalar field. This makes it easier to calculate the Laplacian of a function without having to write out the full equation.

What is the significance of "Del" in physics?

"Del" has many applications in physics, particularly in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It allows physicists to express complex equations and concepts in a more concise and elegant manner. It also helps in visualizing and understanding physical phenomena, as it represents the direction and magnitude of important quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and quantum mechanical operators.