How does the del operator change with incompressibility assumption?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the del operator in fluid dynamics and chemical reactions. The equation given shows the use of the del operator on the density, velocity, and mass fraction variables. The confusion arises when the equation is rearranged and the del operator and velocity are flipped. The person asking the question is wondering if there is a rule or assumption that allows for this change. However, it is later clarified that the del operator and velocity can be flipped due to the assumption of incompressibility.
Hypatio
I'm trying to understand why the del operator is working a certain way.

So in my literature there is a term:

[itex]\nabla \cdot \rho_a \mathbf{v}[/itex]

but then after saying that

[itex]\rho_a=w_a\rho[/itex]

the term can somehow become

[itex]\rho (\mathbf{v}\cdot \nabla w_a)[/itex]

I do not understand how nabla and the velocity, v, get flipped.. Is there some assumption that needs to be made for this to be true?

Physics news on Phys.org
What literature is that?
You must know something about nabla and on what operates nabla

Elliptic said:
What literature is that?
You must know something about nabla and on what operates nabla
It's literature on fluid dynamics and chemical reactions. The equation I am looking at gives

[itex]\frac{\partial \rho_a}{\partial t}+(\nabla \cdot \rho_a \mathbf{v})=0[/itex]

and then after defining that rho_a=rho*w_a they rearrange the equation to give

[itex]\rho \left ( \frac{\partial w_a}{\partial t} + \mathbf{v}\cdot \nabla w_a\right )=0[/itex]

so rho is a density, t is time, w is a mass fraction, and v is velocity.

I'm just not understanding what rule you follow, if any, to flip [itex]\nabla \cdot
\mathbf{v}[/itex] without it meaning something completely different.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
here is something in attachment

Attachments

• Eqn3.gif
    Eqn3.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 505
Elliptic said:
here is something in attachment
Thanks I think my misunderstanding is resolved. They are the same because in the product rule the divergence term drops when incompressibility is assumed. Thank you.

1. What is the del operator and what does it represent?

The del operator, also known as the nabla symbol (∇), is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. It is often used to describe the rate of change or flow of a physical quantity in space.

2. What is divergence and how is it calculated using the del operator?

Divergence is a measure of the net flow of a vector field out of a given point in space. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the del operator and the vector field. In other words, it is the sum of the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate axis.

3. What are the physical implications of a positive or negative divergence?

A positive divergence indicates that there is a net outflow of the vector field from a given point, while a negative divergence indicates a net inflow. This can have physical implications such as the presence of a source or sink of a fluid, or the presence of a charge in an electric field.

4. How is the del operator used in the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the rate of change of a physical quantity in a given volume must be equal to the net flow of that quantity into or out of the volume. The del operator is used to represent the divergence of a vector field in this equation, showing the relationship between the flow of a quantity and its rate of change.

5. Can the del operator be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, the del operator can be used in any coordinate system, including Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates. However, the del operator and its resulting equations may look different in each coordinate system due to the different basis vectors used. It is important to correctly transform the equations when using the del operator in different coordinate systems.