Maximum Speed to Avoid Barrier with Delayed Braking

• Thread starter CyberSyringe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Braking
In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum speed at which a car can be moving without hitting a barrier 40m ahead. The driver has a delay of 0.75s before applying the brakes, and the average acceleration during braking is -10.0m/s^2. The equation Vfinal^2 = Vinitial^2 + 2aΔx can be used to solve this problem, but the units need to be consistent. It is best to solve the algebra using symbolic variables and then substitute the known values to find the final answer.
CyberSyringe

Homework Statement

A driver of a car suddenly sees the lights of a barrier 40m ahead. It takes the driver 0.75s before he applies the brakes, and the average acceleration during braking is -10.0m/s^2

What is the maximum speed at which the car could be moving and not hit the barrier 40.0m ahead?

Homework Equations

Vfinal^2 = Vinitial^2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to apply the following equation above, but of course due to braking delay of 0.75s the delta x would be different. I have no idea how to apply the two together so I can truly figure out the delta x between the time of braking to figure out what the initial velocity could be given the acceleration to reach a final velocity of 0.

I know somehow that 40m - Vinitial(0.75s) would be the delta x to plug into the above equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do have to do a little bit of algebra here to find Vinitial. Have you set up the problem symbolically? Remember, if you have an expression for what Δx represents, go ahead and subtitute that into the equation and solve for Vinitial.

I've gotten as far as setting it up to solve for Vinitial, but at this point I am stumped on actually being able to solve the equation.

0 = Vinitial^2 + 2(-10m/s^2)(40m - 0.75sVi)

I don't know how to isolate Vinitial by itself, and the units are also quite confusing.

Last edited:
0 = Vinitial + 15 m/s - 800m^2/s^2

I believe all I do now is quadratic equation and then solve for Vi that way?

CyberSyringe said:
0 = Vinitial + 15 m/s - 800m^2/s^2

I believe all I do now is quadratic equation and then solve for Vi that way?

The only problem is, the expression above is not a quadratic equation. The units are not the same as those for velocity in each quantity in the equation. (You can't add m/s and m^2/s^2 and hope to get a meaningful result.)

CyberSyringe said:
I've gotten as far as setting it up to solve for Vinitial, but at this point I am stumped on actually being able to solve the equation.

0 = Vinitial^2 + 2(-10m/s^2)(40m - 0.75sVi)

I don't know how to isolate Vinitial by itself, and the units are also quite confusing.

It is better to work the algebra using symbolic variables only, omitting the units. When the algebra gives you an expression for Vinitial, then you can substitute the known values of the other variables and calculate the value of Vinitial which satisfies the equation.

[/url]

1. What is a delayed braking problem?

A delayed braking problem refers to a situation where a vehicle's brakes do not respond immediately when the driver presses the brake pedal. This can lead to a delay in slowing down or stopping the vehicle, which can be dangerous and increase the risk of accidents.

2. What are the common causes of delayed braking?

There are several potential causes of delayed braking, including worn brake pads, air in the brake lines, a faulty brake booster, or a malfunctioning brake master cylinder. It is important to have any issues with delayed braking promptly diagnosed and repaired by a trained mechanic.

3. How can a delayed braking problem be fixed?

The solution to a delayed braking problem will depend on the specific cause. In some cases, replacing worn brake pads or bleeding the brake lines may be enough to fix the issue. However, more serious problems may require replacing faulty components such as the brake booster or master cylinder. It is important to have a professional mechanic diagnose and fix the problem to ensure it is resolved correctly.

4. Is a delayed braking problem dangerous?

Yes, a delayed braking problem can be very dangerous as it can significantly increase the stopping distance of a vehicle. This can increase the risk of collisions, especially in emergency situations. It is important to address any issues with delayed braking as soon as they are noticed to ensure the safety of yourself and others on the road.

5. How can delayed braking be prevented?

To prevent delayed braking, it is important to regularly maintain your vehicle's brakes. This includes having them inspected and replaced when necessary, as well as keeping the brake fluid at the recommended level. It is also important to pay attention to any changes in the way your brakes feel or sound, and have them checked by a professional if you notice any issues.