Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser & The Observer (2000)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Quantum Eraser experiment and its interpretation. Results show that when "path information" is available, the interference pattern collapses into a particle pattern, while when it is unavailable, the interference pattern is retained. The idea that consciousness causes reality to collapse is not supported by this experiment, and the experiment itself has been subject to various interpretations and criticisms. The conversation also touches on the role of "knowledge" or "observation" in this experiment, as well as the involvement of consciousness, which is ultimately deemed irrelevant in this context.
atyy said:
That's alright. It's John Wheeler's fault. In comparison, Kaku deserves the Nobel.
He certainly deserves one for saying "It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century, the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing that quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct." Pity about the rest.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
Now you are shifting your claim.
First you need to define what you mean by relative state.
I do not see why I need to do anything of the sort. It is a term in common use. If you either don't understand or have issues with it, you should refer to Everett.

Derek Potter said:
I do not see why I need to do anything of the sort. It is a term in common use. If you either don't understand or have issues with it, you should refer to Everett.

All I am wanting is you to detail what you mean by these terms you bandy about. Its not hard.

Entanglement is a common term that's bandied about a lot and I have found peoples understanding of it often leaves a lot to be desired.

Its not hard - all you have to do is detail what you mean by it. I can state it in a few lines - that's all it takes.

Thanks
Bill

Swamp Thing said:
Assume that a device with a pointer is located close to ONE of the paths. After propagating further over a really long distance and time, the wave packet reaches a detection zone. Just before this happens, we can decide to switch the experiment between a setting where the pointer reveals the path information, to one where it can't. Depending on this decision, we se or don't see interference.

Now, does it matter how "macroscopic" the pointer device is? If it is just an atom or something, then it's plausible that it could give back the energy or whatever that it exchanged with the photon, and no one any the wiser. On the other hand, let's say the device is a photomultiplier tube, and the cascade of electrons should have reached the point of no return long before the wavepacket could reach the detection zone. What then? Can you put the toothpaste back in the tube even at this point? Or should we say that the cascade would be triggered nonlocally - or not triggered at all - depending on the scenario that exists in the detection zone at the last femtosecond? Would it make a difference whether or not the coherence length spans the PMT and the detection zone?
This needed an answer before you got sidetracked into fleas and elephants.
The idea of a photodetector holding its breath until a remote photon makes up its mind whether to be detected at A, B, C or D is precisely what is implied by conventional QM. That is to say, the predictions are wrong if you assume the first detectors register their results immediately. Highly problematical for direct realism, no problem at all for Many Worlds, no problem for "shut up and calculate" (of course) and fertile ground for woo-mongers ...
A long coherence length might make interpretation less difficult, but in fact the wavepacket is very short indeed.

Derek Potter said:
Why do say "bandy about"? I am using the term correctly.

Dear oh dear its obvious you won't define it. If you did you may see the error you are making wrt MW.

Here is the definition. Suppose two systems are entangled eg 1/root 2 |a>|b> + 1/root 2 |b>|a>. The systems are entangled hence neither has an actual state. If system 1 is observed in state |a> then system 2 will be in state |b>, and conversely, if system 1 is observed in state |b>, then system 2 will be in state |a>. State |a> is relative to state |b> and conversely.

Now your claim was 'MW is a principle which follows tautologically from the assumption of linear (quantum) evolution.'. In fact in Everett's original interpretation, without the modern use of decoherence, used the concept of relative state, and INTERPRETED the relative states as separate worlds ie |a>|b> was one world and |b>|a> another. Its a key interpretive assumption - it does not follow tautologically because it requires that assumption - tautologies can't use extra things put into it - by definition a tautology is a circular statement.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Dear oh dear its obvious you won't define it. If you did you may see the error you are making wrt MW.

Here is the definition. Suppose two systems are entangled eg 1/root 2 |a>|b> + 1/root 2 |b>|a>. The systems are entangled hence neither has an actual state. If system 1 is observed in state |a> then system 2 will be in state |b>, and conversely, if system 1 is observed in state |b>, then system 2 will be in state |a>. State |a> is relative to state |b> and conversely.

Now your claim was 'MW is a principle which follows tautologically from the assumption of linear (quantum) evolution.'. In fact in Everett's original interpretation, without the modern use of decoherence, used the concept of relative state, and INTERPRETED the relative states as separate worlds ie |a>|b> was one world and |b>|a> another.

Its a key interpretive assumption - it does not follow tautologically because it requires that assumption - tautologies can't use extra things put into it - by definition a tautology is a circular statement.

Thanks
Bill
There is no assumption involved. The term "world" is fanciful and Everett did not like it, but to identify |a>|b> as a world is not an assumption, it is just a definition.

Derek Potter said:
There is no assumption involved. The term "world" is fanciful and Everett did not like it, but to identify |a>|b> as a world is not an assumption, it is just a definition.

Derek -- you are a bit confused between definition and assumption - world in MW is much more than a definition.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Derek -- you are a bit confused between definition and assumption - world in MW is much more than a definition.

Thanks
Bill
No confusion here, Bill. Rather than repeatedly insulting my intelligence I suggest you stick to the point and say what you think is the assumption.

Derek Potter said:
No confusion here, Bill. Rather than repeatedly insulting my intelligence I suggest you stick to the point and say what you think is the assumption.

... as I have asked you several times already.

And on that note, thread closed.