Delete Button: Why Was It Removed from PF?

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
In summary, the delete button is removed from PF recently. It is not working for even 2 minutes after we write the post.
But why would one delete his message as then he would not get replies from advisors and his query would not be solved?

Post Script:
So can mentors see deleted messages, in which it asks give a reason for deletion?
Is it not bizarre, so many persons deleting posts in other forums would create database problem for mentors, if they can see it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
But why would one delete his message as then he would not get replies from advisors and his query would not be solved?

They usually don't delete their posts until after their question has been answered.

Raghav Gupta said:
So can mentors see deleted messages, in which it asks give a reason for deletion?

We can see deleted threads and posts, but unless someone puts in a reason for deletion, then there's no explanation.

Raghav Gupta said:
Is it not bizarre, so many persons deleting posts in other forums would create database problem for mentors, if they can see it?

I'm not sure. I don't know what kind of database problems you're talking about.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Raghav Gupta said:
Earlier Greg sir

Overall your English is good but just to let you know if you're referring to someone as "sir" you don't say their name (unless they've been knighted in the UK, if Greg had he'd be "Sir Greg"). You can say "Mr" followed by their surname i.e. Mr Bernhardt, but Greg is a cool guy and you can just call him by his name,

Raghav Gupta said:
was admitting that delete option has no time window
But in later posts he was saying that delete window also has 3 hours 20 minutes time constraint, same like edit button.

The first part is in error. In the normal forums I believe the delete window has an error of 3 hours 20, like the edit. In homework there is no delete function.

Raghav Gupta said:
So in a hurry if someone has put a wrong post like this ( see post 53)
Application of Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
It's better I think if there is a delete button?

You might say that I could have used edit button,
but in edit button we then cannot quote as a pop up for edit window comes.

I don't know what you mean by not being able to quote. Editing would have been the right thing to do.

Raghav Gupta said:

Have you read my post above in 31? It gives you the reasons people want to delete their posts.

Raghav Gupta said:
Post Script:

Yes we see deleted posts but they don't look like normal posts so there is no confusion. If a post has been deleted then we see a little banner saying "post deleted by" and if we click on it we can see what it is. No confusion.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Like the way of you mentors being transparent.
Mr. Ryan I was saying that when we press edit button a window appears and we can no longer press the reply button to someone's post that quotes him.

You can just call me Ryan too. I'm still not really understanding youre point, when you edit your post you've already quoted that person surely. For example in my post at 38 I quoted you. If I click on it now I see this:

upload_2015-4-24_11-59-24.png

I can then edit my post as necessary. If I were to split your post in some way I can just copy and past the "QUOTE=XXX" section also as necessary.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm still not really understanding youre point, when you edit your post you've already quoted that person surely.
Suppose we have not quoted that person at the time of editing, then what?
That's my point.

Raghav Gupta said:
Suppose we have not quoted that person at the time of editing, then what?
That's my point.

Ok, I'll show you how (bear with my because I'm going to post, then edit my post and show the whole thing with pictures). At the moment, 12:15, this message quotes no one, by 12:19 it will.STEP zero: this is the message with no quote, I want to edit to add your quote. (see "No quote" attachment)

STEP one: I hit reply on your message and the quote appears in the post box. I then highlight this and copy it. (see "Highlight reply" attachment)

STEP two: I hit edit on my post and paste the copied message where I want it (see "Paste in reply" attachment)

STEP three: I click save and then go back through adding these pictures. Make sense?

Attachments

• No quote.png
    No quote.png
    54 KB · Views: 415
  • Highlight reply.png
    Highlight reply.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 397
  • Paste in reply.png
    Paste in reply.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and Raghav Gupta
Ryan_m_b said:
Ok, I'll show you how (bear with my because I'm going to post, then edit my post and show the whole thing with pictures). At the moment, 12:15, this message quotes no one, by 12:19 it will.STEP Zero: this is the message with no quote, I want to edit to add your quote.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/82481

STEP one: I hit reply on your message and the quote appears in the post box. I then highlight this and copy it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/82482

STEP two: I hit edit on my post and paste the copied message where I want it

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/82483

STEP three: I click save and then go back through adding these pictures. Make sense?
Don't know why but errors are coming in viewing attachments.
It is saying you have not permissions to view this.

Raghav Gupta said:
Don't know why but errors are coming in viewing attachments.
It is saying you have not permissions to view this.

I don't know why either, look again I've changed it by just adding attachments.

Ryan_m_b said:
I don't know why either, look again I've changed it by just adding attachments.
Yeah got it. It completely makes sense.
It was a problem for me for a while.
Thanks Ryan.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Ryan_m_b