Can deleting a post delete the entire thread?

• Thread starter yourdadonapogostick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delete
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deleting a thread by deleting the original post, and the role of Mentors and admins in editing and altering threads. It also mentions the idea of self-discovery and the joking promotion of someone from "dung beetle ape" to a new position.
yourdadonapogostick
if you post a thread and someone posts a reply then you delete the origional post, will that delete the whole thread?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol.. yes I believe that would do that.

lets find out

you can't delete the origional post

I should have seen that coming lol. I guess only Mentors or admins can delete threads. They can edit posts and alter threads too. So if they really wanted to they could snip out your original post and then make the second post of the thread into the thread topic post. Not that there would be much point in doing that really.

yourdadonapogostick said:
you can't delete the origional post
I was going to mention that, but it was more fun this way. :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
I was going to mention that, but it was more fun this way. :biggrin:
Well :tongue: ...

TheStatutoryApe said:
Well :tongue: ...
Sometimes it's more rewarding to learn things for yourself, grasshopper. :tongue2:

honestrosewater said:
Sometimes it's more rewarding to learn things for yourself, grasshopper. :tongue2:
hear that? you've been promoted from dung beetle ape! yay for ape!

Smurf said:
hear that? you've been promoted from dung beetle ape! yay for ape!
Yes, so his old spot's open now. But I wouldn't get your hopes up- there's lots of competition for it around here.

1. What is the purpose of deleting the original post?

The purpose of deleting the original post is to remove the post from public view and potentially prevent further discussion or engagement on the topic.

2. Can I delete the original post even if others have already commented on it?

Yes, you can still delete the original post even if others have already commented on it. However, their comments may still remain visible to others unless they also delete their own comments.

3. Will deleting the original post also delete any attached media or links?

It depends on the platform or website you are using. In some cases, deleting the original post may also delete any attached media or links. However, in other cases, the media or links may still remain visible even after the post is deleted.

4. Is there a way to recover a deleted original post?

Again, it depends on the platform or website. Some may have options to recover a deleted post within a certain timeframe, while others may not have this feature. It's best to check the website's policies or contact their support team for more information.

5. Can deleting the original post also delete any reposts or shares of the post?

No, deleting the original post will not automatically delete any reposts or shares of the post. Each individual who shared or reposted the original post will need to delete it themselves if they wish to remove it from their own page or profile.