Deleted Homework Thread: Time Dilation - Why?

• Thread starter Tranceform
  • Start date
In summary: To quote from another thread: Is PF going to lose the database?Do we look THAT stupid?Maybe somebody is doing some migration testing ... :devil:I have experienced similar losses...Trying reposting it. Remember, if it was deleted by a mentor you'd receive a PM outlining the reason(s) for its deletion.
Tranceform
I wrote a homework thread about Time Dilation, which followed the rules. It was deleted and no reason was given. Why?

If your post is deleted for this reason, the mentor will also send a warning or infraction notification to you by private message (PM).
No such notification was sent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tranceform said:
I wrote a homework thread about Time Dilation, which followed the rules. It was deleted and no reason was given. Why?

No such notification was sent.

I don't see any deleted thread in your records.

The title of the thread was "Time dilation of baseball" and the url to the thread was https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=761809

Tranceform said:
The title of the thread was "Time dilation of baseball" and the url to the thread was https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=761809

Hmmm it appears to have fallen into a black hole! Feel free to post it again. Sorry about that.

There was another post in the calculus HW section ("How to prove square root of x isn't a rational function?") which disappeared as I finished writing a reply to it. I didn't see anything wrong with the question, so I doubt that it was deleted by a mentor. Perhaps the OP deleted it, or perhaps it fell into the same black hole. Just thought I would mention it here in case it will help with any technical troubleshooting. Here's the broken link, taken from my browser history:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=761817

jbunniii said:
There was another post in the calculus HW section ("How to prove square root of x isn't a rational function?") which disappeared as I finished writing a reply to it. I didn't see anything wrong with the question, so I doubt that it was deleted by a mentor. Perhaps the OP deleted it, or perhaps it fell into the same black hole. Just thought I would mention it here in case it will help with any technical troubleshooting. Here's the broken link, taken from my browser history:

Yes, it appears to have fallen in a black hole too :confused:

I have experienced similar losses on the forum. I lost a thread I wrote in the intro phys forum an hour or two ago. It was titled "Electric Field, Half Circle" I believe (perhaps it will help).

Tranceform said:

jbunniii said:

Zondrina said:
I have experienced similar losses on the forum. I lost a thread I wrote in the intro phys forum an hour or two ago. It was titled "Electric Field, Half Circle" I believe (perhaps it will help).

I remember seeing all 3 of these threads earlier today...

berkeman said:
I remember seeing all 3 of these threads earlier today...

To quote from another thread:
DataGG said:
Is PF going to lose the database?

Borek said:
Do we look THAT stupid?

Maybe somebody is doing some migration testing ... :devil:

Zondrina said:
I have experienced similar losses...

yeah me too, I believe its called CRAFT's disease :wink:

(Cant Remember A Flaming Thing)

sorry, couldn't resist!

Dave

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hmmm it appears to have fallen into a black hole! Feel free to post it again. Sorry about that.

Sorry i have the same problem as well. I asked a question on textbook suggestion on about 5th July and it disappeared with no reason given. I searched all over the web for suggestion first and I cannot find it. I made sure about doing this first. Then I ask for suggestion on physicsforums and for help. Thank you very much and I really appreciate the helps given by physicsforums.

td21 said:
Sorry i have the same problem as well. I asked a question on textbook suggestion on about 5th July and it disappeared with no reason given. I searched all over the web for suggestion first and I cannot find it. I made sure about doing this first. Then I ask for suggestion on physicsforums and for help. Thank you very much and I really appreciate the helps given by physicsforums.

Trying reposting it. Remember, if it was deleted by a mentor you'd receive a PM outlining the reason(s) for its deletion.

I think those threads were used to make that damn spider web in the wormhole. No wonder I could never find Evo.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds. It is a key concept in the theory of relativity, which states that time is not absolute and can be affected by the speed and gravity of an object.

2. How does time dilation work?

According to the theory of relativity, time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics must be the same for all observers. As an object moves faster, its time slows down relative to a stationary observer. This can be observed in experiments such as the famous "twin paradox" where one twin travels at high speeds while the other stays on Earth. The traveling twin's time will slow down, causing them to age slower than their Earth-bound twin.

3. What causes time dilation?

Time dilation is caused by the relative motion and gravity of objects. As an object moves faster, its time will slow down. Additionally, the closer an object is to a large source of gravity, the slower its time will pass. This can be observed in experiments such as the gravitational time dilation experiment conducted by physicist John Pound in 1960.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although it is usually on a very small scale. For example, GPS satellites orbiting Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds, causing them to run slightly faster than clocks on Earth. This has to be taken into account when calculating GPS signals to ensure accurate navigation.

5. How does time dilation impact our understanding of time?

Time dilation challenges the idea of time as a constant and absolute concept. It suggests that time is relative and can be affected by various factors. Time dilation also has implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe as it allows for the possibility of time travel and the existence of multiple timelines.