Delete Old PMs: How to Clear Storage Space

• Thread starter Canute
  • Start date
In summary, PMs are private messages sent between individuals on a messaging platform. Deleting old PMs can help free up storage space and improve device performance. To determine which PMs to delete, consider identifying ones that are no longer relevant or important, or check the size of the PMs and prioritize deleting the larger ones. Deleting old PMs will permanently remove them from your device and the platform's server, but some platforms may have a backup system in place. It is possible to back up important PMs before deleting them by using the platform's export or save options, taking screenshots, or manually copying and saving the messages. The frequency of deleting old PMs depends on personal messaging habits and device storage capacity, but it may be helpful to
Canute
I am not able to send a PM because I have too many stored. How do I delete them?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the bottom of the pm screen, you'll see a pull-down menu labelled 'Selected Messages:', and a go button to the right. Click the checkboxes next to the pms you want to delete, select "Delete" from the menu, and press Go.

- Warren

Ah, thanks.

1. What are PMs and why should I delete old ones?

PMs, or private messages, are messages sent between individuals on a messaging platform. They can take up storage space on your device or on the platform's server, which can slow down your device or reach storage limits. Deleting old PMs can help free up space and improve device performance.

2. How do I know which PMs to delete?

This will depend on your personal preferences and needs. You can start by identifying PMs that are no longer relevant or important to you, such as old conversations or spam messages. You can also check the size of PMs and prioritize deleting the larger ones.

3. Will deleting old PMs permanently remove them?

Yes, deleting old PMs will permanently remove them from your device and the platform's server. However, some platforms may have a backup system in place, so the messages may still exist in their database. It is always best to check with the platform's privacy settings and policies.

4. Is there a way to back up important PMs before deleting them?

Some messaging platforms may have an option to export or save important PMs before deleting them. You can also take screenshots or copy and save the messages manually. It is important to note that if the PMs are deleted from the platform's server, they cannot be retrieved.

5. How often should I delete old PMs?

This will depend on your messaging habits and the storage capacity of your device. If you frequently send and receive PMs, it may be helpful to delete them every few weeks or months. You can also set a reminder or schedule a regular time to delete old PMs to keep your storage space organized and efficient.