Deleting Posts: A Quick Guide for Managing Online Content

• Thread starter delve
  • Start date
In summary, deleting posts is typically only done by mentors and admins upon request or in serious circumstances. Regular members have the ability to edit and delete their own posts within a limited time frame. This is to prevent misuse of the feature. The "edit window" allows for corrections to be made within a certain time period. This is to maintain the integrity of discussions and prevent deception.
delve
how do you delete posts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, the only people who can delete posts (even their own) are mentors and admins. Generally, we delete posts on poster request only for stuff that we would have deleted anyway ("oops, I posted that before I realized it should have gone in the homework forums, and now I've re-posted there so can you delete this one?"), and for unusual or serious circumstances like privacy or legal issues.

In such cases the thing to do is hit the "Report" button on a post, which sends a message that all the mentors and admins can see. Explain why you want the post deleted. If we need to get back to you about it, we'll PM you.

I can delete my own posts by clicking Edit, then Advanced, then Delete. But why do some of my posts have "Edit" buttons and some don't?

I forgot, regular members do have the ability to edit and delete their posts for a limited time after posting. I think it's something like one hour. (Or did we change that again? We've changed the policy once or twice, that I remember.)

jtbell said:
I forgot, regular members do have the ability to edit and delete their posts for a limited time after posting. I think it's something like one hour. (Or did we change that again? We've changed the policy once or twice, that I remember.)

I think it's 24 hours now.

More explanation of the "edit window". If you make a post, then read it and find you made an error or noticed it is in the wrong thread/forum, the "edit window" allows you to correct the situation. The reason we do not allow unlimited edit time is that some unscrupulous people will go back and change or delete posts long after they have posted them, which can destroy the continuity of discussions or be used for the purpose of deception.

Its a nice feature. Sometimes our inner idiot emerges and we need to rethink it. 24 hours is enough.

Last edited:

1. How do I delete a post on social media?

To delete a post on social media, you will need to log into your account and navigate to the post you want to delete. Then, look for the delete button or option, which is usually represented by a trash can icon or the word "delete". Click on it and confirm the deletion when prompted. The post will be permanently removed from your profile and the platform.

2. Will deleting a post remove it from other people's feeds?

Yes, deleting a post will remove it from your profile and also from other people's feeds. However, there may be a delay in the post disappearing from others' feeds, depending on how recently they have seen it. In some cases, the post may still appear in search results or notifications even after it has been deleted.

3. Is it possible to recover a deleted post?

Unfortunately, once a post has been deleted, it cannot be recovered. It is permanently removed from the platform and cannot be retrieved. Therefore, it is important to double-check before deleting a post to avoid losing important content.

4. Can I delete multiple posts at once?

Yes, many social media platforms allow you to delete multiple posts at once. You can usually do this by selecting the posts you want to delete and then using the delete option. However, some platforms may have a limit on the number of posts that can be deleted at once.

5. Will deleting a post also delete any comments or likes on that post?

Yes, when you delete a post, all associated comments, likes, and shares will also be deleted. This is because these interactions are tied to the post itself. If you want to keep these interactions but remove the post from your profile, you can usually hide the post instead of deleting it. This option may be available when you click on the three dots or settings icon next to the post.